Elk system restart

just reviving this thread, as I too am having random restarts with my Elk M1. I saw comments below about a possible battery or battery terminal problem, but my battery is new (both my main battery, plus the little button battery on the M1 board are both within a year old). Any other theories as to what might be causing this?

just checking the low hanging fruit:

• Did this just start?  If so, what changed?
  •  
  • Any power surges lately?
  •  
  • All connections to the board tight?
  •  
  • Are you getting the correct voltage to the board (do you have a volt meter?)?

To add to  what BSR said above -  restarts are often caused by power supply problems of all sorts. Test all of your terminal type connections using a needle nose plier. Just a little tug on  each connection. Use a volt meter to test voltages at each splice or connection in the power supply circuit especially at any add-on boards like auxiliary input and output boards. You are looking for intermittent glitches of the 12vdc power supply to one or more of the components.

I still have an occasional restart but they are very few and far between. Maybe a firmware bug too??

Mike.

Thanks, BSR and Mike for those helpful replies.
As far as I know nothing has changed lately. Voltages are good.
The only slight change is that I'm paying more attention, as I have added a rule to notify email me on system startup.
It's possible this has been happening on-and-off over the years, and I'm just now starting to track it.
It started when I heard my keypad beeping in the middle of the night, and went into the log the next day to see that the system had restarted.
Then I found this thread and saw that this has been happening elsewhere, so I decided to add a rule to notify me when this happens. It seems to happen about once a month. It's not a major problem, and it seems to restore to a function state (and, as other posters have noted, it stays in the armed state after a restart, which is good).
But it makes me worry that something else might be off and that I ought to address it.
I'll keep testing more contact points for 12v. Given that my data bus sends 12v signals to 6 keypads all over the house, I suppose there's always a chance there's a bad wire or splice somewhere in there, but this would be difficult to test.

My approach to troubleshooting restarts was to try to find what triggered the restart. Why did it happen just WHEN it happened. The system does do periodic battery tests and I thought that could be a trigger. It also occurred to me that there may be some device that puts a momentary  load on the system causing a voltage drop. For instance - a motion detector is triggered and the power supply to that motion detector or to the M1XIN that it is connected to may be loose and not making a good connection.

I never did pinpoint a cause and I've looked several times. I did replace my 5 year old  back-up batteries and still get a very occasional restart. I do have a box with components in a detached garage so temperature and humidity can be a factor. It happens so rarely here that I just ignore it now until it gets worse.

Mike.

Back