ElkDroid Released to Android Market (ABANDONED)

I'd like to thank Kent for his work on resolving my issue with dimming of Leviton DHC devices using extended codes. Kent, working with Elk, was able to identify the causative issues and make the appropriate changes to his program to accommodate the sending of these extended commands required for proper dimming.. Making the program changes and uploading to the Marketplace was very helpful and is much appreciated.

Regards,

Brian

THANK YOU!

ElkDroid 1.12 has been released. Users are encouraged to upgrade. Release Notes: http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17210

To obtain the latest version without waiting for the system "Updates Available" notification:
1. Open the 'Market' app
2. Press the menu key, and select 'Downloads'
3. You will see 'Update Available' next to ElkDroid
4. Select ElkDroid and update like normal

How many droids can I install this on? My company is currently switching us from blackberries to either iphones or droids. I want to go droid, but I need to better understand this app's licensing a bit. Can I install this on multiple devices?

When I switch to a droid, I'll also be getting one for my wife. I've also considered some droidpads around the house. Do I have to spend $100 per device, or $100 for multiple installs on devices I own?

Sorry, this is probably more a question for the android marketplace, but I can't find an answer anywhere i've searched.

Thanks!

Hi Forgetfu,

Thank you for your interest in ElkDroid. The app is licensed to your google account, not to an individual device. This is so if you have tablets or multiple phones you don't need to purchase additional licenses. If your wife is using a different google account on her phone she will need her own license.

Regards,

Kent Williams
Williams Automation

Hi Forgetfu,

Thank you for your interest in ElkDroid. The app is licensed to your google account, not to an individual device. This is so if you have tablets or multiple phones you don't need to purchase additional licenses. If your wife is using a different google account on her phone she will need her own license.

Regards,

Kent Williams
Williams Automation

I just picked up Mytouch 4g's for both my wife and I. On iPhone, the app store can have up to 5 devices added to one account, so if you buy an app, you can put it on 5 phones. On Android, your purchases are bound to the primary account on the phone, even if your Google Checkout is set up under a different account. The Primary account is the first account you configure, and the only way to change it is to reset the phone to factory defaults. So here's what I did...

- Create a new "family/phones" gmail account
- Create a google checkout account under this account (http://checkout.google.com)
- Join your phones to this account
- Go into Settings->Accounts and uncheck Syncing for this account
- Add your personal account to your phone, and your wife's personal account to hers. Make sure syncing is enabled for these.

The phone will sync contacts, calendar and mail with your personal accounts, and then sync Market purchases with your family account. If you purchase an app on your phone, go into the Market on your wife's phone, hit the menu key, and select downloads. It will show the app as purchased. Click on it, and press the install button. It will NOT show free apps that you have downloaded on your wife's phone, only the one's you've paid for. The only way to test is to buy an app on one of the phones.

Technically, if you have root on your Android, there is a way to modify the sqlite databases to change the primary account. But this method is different depending on what version of Android you are on. I just backed up my phone with Titanium Backup and then reset to defaults. It still took me a couple of hours to get everything back the way I wanted it.

This "family" account method works fine on Android 2.2 and 2.2.1. I have not tested on previous versions, but it's more a function of the way Google keeps track of your purchases and not the phone itself. If you've purchased apps under a different account and you are moving to this family account method, you can purchase the apps again under the new account and then contact the developer of the apps and tell them you switched primary account and would like a refund for the previous purchase. Make sure it's the previous one you bought under the old account, or it will remove your newly purchased app from your phone. The two developers I contacted both refunded my money for the original purchase. If you have a ton of purchased apps and are switching to a family account, it's going to be a pain in the butt to contact all of the different developers, and, they probably don't HAVE to do anything to help you.

Note that my original google account did NOT have checkout set up. So when I tried to purchase in the Market, it asked me to add a google account with checkout enabled. I created my family account, and added it. It let me purchase apps using that checkout account, but it still bound them to my original primary account. THE APP MARKET DOES NOT BIND YOUR PURCHASES TO THE CHECKOUT ACCOUNT USED TO PURCHASE APPS. It only binds them to the primary account on the phone. So to replicated the functionality of Apple's app store, you must create a family account and perform the steps listed above. I tested about 20 different ways of doing this, and this is the only method that works.

The only thing I have not tested yet is if application data backups work properly. If I have multiple phones on the same account and I enable "backup application data," there's no way for me to tell if google keeps track of what device it came from. Backing up application data ONLY works to the primary phone account. Say I install a task manager and it backs up its data to the primary account, and my wife has the same one backing up, is it smart enough to restore my data to my phone and my wife's data to her's? If anyone tests this, let me know. I've spent enough time messing around with this. :)

I hope this helps. I was in the same situation as you. I didn't want to buy an expensive app twice on Android when Apple's App Store allows you to buy once and install on 5 devices.

Do you know if the ELKDROID would work on a Augen 7". I would like to use these around house instead of a PC. I dont believe the device will connect directly with google market place. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Do you know if the ELKDROID would work on a Augen 7". I would like to use these around house instead of a PC. I dont believe the device will connect directly with google market place. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Kent,

You should consider making a free version of ElkDroid on the market that is time limited or something, and then putting up a separate key on the Market to activate the full version. This way, you could also distribute the free .apk file through your website, and then sell keys via Paypal for those without Market access (those that have unsupported devices, or are in countries that don't have the Market). This is how Titanium Backup and a number of others do it.

My initial installation of ElkDroid 1.12 on a DroidX works great over Wi-fi. Can someone tell me how to change the configuration parameters to allow access over the internet? I am unable to find any communication related page to modify. Does the app need to be uninstalled and reinstalled? If so, does the purchase stay available on Market so it can be downloaded again? (This is my first purchase from Market and I'm new to the Droid, so I'm not sure how it works in this respect.)

My initial installation of ElkDroid 1.12 on a DroidX works great over Wi-fi. Can someone tell me how to change the configuration parameters to allow access over the internet? I am unable to find any communication related page to modify. Does the app need to be uninstalled and reinstalled? If so, does the purchase stay available on Market so it can be downloaded again? (This is my first purchase from Market and I'm new to the Droid, so I'm not sure how it works in this respect.)

Hi Dave,

If you are already connected to your M1, disconnect by hitting the menu key followed by touching the 'Disconnect' option. When you are at the Server list screen, long-press (press and hold) your connection. A popup will appear, select Edit. Dismiss the help screen and you will be able to enter your public IP address or Dynamic DNS address into the Hostname field. Scroll down to the bottom and click Edit to save your changes and return to the Server list screen. Click on your connection to test the changes.

If you have any problems please don't hesitate to contact me at [email protected]

Kent Williams
Williams Automation

ElkDroid 1.2 has been released. Thermostats are now supported; Updated UI.

Release Notes: http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17893

Warning: Upgrading to this version will reset your settings

Did you make changes to how it discovered devices? I had one zone that wouldn't show up at all under 1.12, but it shows up now.

Did you make changes to how it discovered devices? I had one zone that wouldn't show up at all under 1.12, but it shows up now.
The old discovery process was removed for the 1.2 and replace with the new synchronization subsystem you see when connecting. That was the single largest internal upgrade for version 1.2. The new synchronization process is much faster and more stable than the existing code. It also lays the foundation for future features, such as widgets or system-level voice control.

Kent

I just purchased Elkdroid yesterday and would like to thank Kent for his prompt response to an issue I was having with attachment to my M1.
I already own the Ekeypad application for Iphone and these are some of my first observations on the application functionality:

1. Really need to get your website up so you can provide some instructions on installation and use of the application since this will probably save you a lot of time going over the same issues with every new user.

2. I don't think the software is clearing the internal cache since I went back into my M1 via RP and removed all of my displayed light controllers but three, yet Elkdroid still shows all of them which is really confusing. I also have some lighting functions that I don't really want to control remotely by accident.
It would also be a nice feature if you could "hide" some of the switches, Outputs etc. that you don't use frequently in every category yet still be able to display them again by a simple edit.

3. It still keeps attaching to my system even though I have disabled Auto Connect and Auto Reconnect. I am unsure how to stop this since it has all kinds of controls and I have on occassion seen two status indicators in my taskbar.

4. More colorful graphics would definitetly improve the "look" of the application.

I am very impressed by the capabilities of the application and the above comments are my constructive feedback only.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll add it to the development list.

ElkDroid caches the list of devices (zones/lights/tasks/etc.) across sessions to improve startup performance. If you make a change in ElkRP and add/edit/remove a zone you need to instruct ElkDroid to update its cache. To do this connect to your panel with ElkDroid, press the menu key and select 'Find Devices'. If you have any problems please don't hesitate to e-mail me.

Kent

Back