ElkRP2 Unable to connect to M1XEP

snakevargas

Elkrp2 on my Windows 8.1 pc is unable to connect to my M1XEP. The error message it prints is unhelpful, "Connection error: Could not connect.". At some point in the past this used to work. It doesn't now. I upgraded to 2.0.34 today with no luck.

I've tried turning off my firewall. I've verified that I can successfully open a telnet connection to the M1XEP on port 2601, so there's nothing wrong with connectivity. I have another windows 8.1 laptop with the same version of the software and the same copy of the ElkRP2 database and it works fine.

I've uninstalled it, reinstalled it, rebooted multiple times. Nothing can make elkRP2 on this computer work. Anyone have a suggestion of something else to try?

I called ELK a few weeks ago as I had a similar issue. They said windows pushed some updates that broke connectivity. They directed me to this special updater utility for the M1XEP.  I ran that to update the M1XEP and updated to the latest RP as well and everything worked!! So I don't know if you used that updater utility when you updated but if not maybe thats worth a try?

That wouldn't explain why one machine on the same OS would be able to connect to it fine unless the win update didn't hit the other machine. Usually FW should be a last resort item and as-needed.

While the OS release (Windows 8.1) is the same, it's possible that the two machines don't have identical sets of Windows updates installed. My laptop often has windows update disabled, as having the laptop go suddenly unstable in the middle of a business trip can be unpleasant.

Back