Email notification difficulty

I'm having problems getting email to work.  I have Cox email .  Does anyone out there have Cox email and have it working.

I tried using port 25 and 567 and am using smtp.west.cox.net   but it won't work.

johnlaroux said:
I tried using port 25 and 567 and am using smtp.west.cox.net   but it won't work.
Do you mean Port 567 or 587? 587 is the standard port for SMTP authentication.

Well I looked at my  thunderbird settings for email and its    smtp.cox.net     with port 587   authentication method says encrypted password.  So maybe its the encrypted password thats not allowing email to work with the webcontrol board??

WebControl board does not do email encryption.  So you only need to enter port 25.
The email from your board to smtp.cox.net is not encrypted. But from that email server to anywhere else could still be encrypted depends on your receiving software.

CAI_Support said:
WebControl board does not do email encryption.  So you only need to enter port 25.
The email from your board to smtp.cox.net is not encrypted. But from that email server to anywhere else could still be encrypted depends on your receiving software.

As an ISP of almost 20 years, I can tell you that currently, almost none of the email sent between ISPs is encrypted (except that which the user explicitly encrypts and must be decrypted by the recipient)

CAI_Support said:

So  now I have smtp host as  smtp.cox.net   port 25  username and password blank    From address, my email address.  I click the test button on EM1 and it says its sent but  no emails are received.  

Did you set up receiver's email address?  Did you save the configuration before testing? Which firmware version do you have?  They should all work, except the latest firmware allowing send to different email address for each message.

Maybe you could send us screen capture of your email configuration. 

If your receiving email client having spam filter, please disable that first to see if you can get.

If all checked and still not working, then you will need to do a network capture on your gateway and send us the network packet capture, from that we can help you to find out what was the problem.

CAI_Support said:
Did you set up receiver's email address?  Did you save the configuration before testing? Which firmware version do you have?  They should all work, except the latest firmware allowing send to different email address for each message.

Maybe you could send us screen capture of your email configuration. 

If your receiving email client having spam filter, please disable that first to see if you can get.

If all checked and still not working, then you will need to do a network capture on your gateway and send us the network packet capture, from that we can help you to find out what was the problem.

Yes on receiver's email address.  Yes I saved configuration for each change I make.   I have the latest firmware.  Spam can't be disabled but Cox does mark as spam and sends to inbox.

I did send you a message with a url to my board so you could connect to it and make any changes you want to it to see if you can make it work for you.  Its not in use now. I'm new to this board and am just tinkering with it for now.

I did download wireshark  and can do a network capture if you like.  If I do a network capture for you, would I need to disable the web polling under general setup? and what should i do during the capture. 

Thanks  John

Hi John,

I looked your settings, it seems okay.  I think the only way to do is to do a capture now.
If you could disable polling during capture, the capture file size will be smaller and easier for you to send to us.

However, wireshark capture may not be able to capture the traffic on the network, unless you have your PC act as bridge to forward WebControl traffic, or you have network hub, or configure the switch to copy data from WebControl plugged in port to the PC port, since most modern switch not sending traffic to other port.

CAI_Support said:
Hi John,

I looked your settings, it seems okay.  I think the only way to do is to do a capture now.
If you could disable polling during capture, the capture file size will be smaller and easier for you to send to us.

However, wireshark capture may not be able to capture the traffic on the network, unless you have your PC act as bridge to forward WebControl traffic, or you have network hub, or configure the switch to copy data from WebControl plugged in port to the PC port, since most modern switch not sending traffic to other port.

Well sorry for the trouble but I figured it out.     In the network setup page, the Primary and Secondary  DNS Server  addresses were set at  0.0.0.0   instead of   8.8.8.8

Email is now working fine.

Thanks  John

Great to hear!
8.8.8.8 and 4.4.4.4 are google DNS servers open to all the public. Google and CIA may track any use of it to find out where you visiting, but for WebControl board, we only resolve email and time servers.

Back