Finally have some Automation - PLUM has arrived

LabPaddy

My UBE Kickstarter  dimmers finally arrived after being delayed for months on end. I held off on other technologies while waiting for these to arrive, so I don't have any lighting automation. Long ago I did receive my Almond+, another Kickstarter, which is a router with home automation features. I use it as a router, but the home automation side of things, I never really did anything with. 

The UBE units are now called Plum Lightpads, I installed 3 of them and got them up and running. And I'm impressed. The build quality and packaging look good. 

Installs like any dimmer, but it needs the neutral wire, which I had. Setup with the app is very simple.

The unit is sleek looking, very modern. It has a glow ring around it that glows when it senses motion. You can select the glow color, duration and sensitivity in the iOS app, which is pretty cool. My wife likes the autumnal orange color I selected. And it's bright enough to be a decent night light.

It gives you a wattage readout of the fixture. Which is making me think about more LED bulbs. 

The app has a simple, clean interface. My wife is actually using it to make lighting scenes and schedule times. It's rare she latches on to technical things, but like Sonos, she's adopted it and wants to do more. I caught her turning lights on and off, while we were having dinner at a friend's house, to make it look like someone was home, she says. 

Shortcomings with the unit - no Android app and no Smartthings integration. Coming soon, they say.

Eventually I would like to get my Ademco alarm panel talking to my Smartthings, so I can trigger light events on the PLUMs. Baby steps for now.

Same issue I have with other wifi switches and plugs.  I would have like 100 by the time I finished the house.  That would be a LOT of wifi devices to manage on the DHCP.

Sometimes there are reasons not to piggy back all communications within the same channel.  

I do like the idea of IP control and the switches look nice.  Pretty dang pricey though.

Bal said:
Same issue I have with other wifi switches and plugs.  I would have like 100 by the time I finished the house.  That would be a LOT of wifi devices to manage on the DHCP.

Sometimes there are reasons not to piggy back all communications within the same channel.  

I do like the idea of IP control and the switches look nice.  Pretty dang pricey though.
I really like the approach that LIFX took with their bulbs. Every unit has both Wi-Fi and 802.15.4 mesh technology radios.  Only one bulb turns on Wi-Fi, the rest use the mesh technology.  Therefore only one IP to manage. 

They have been rock solid. No reboots since installation.
I find that I rarely use the app and still use the switch. I can turn on off all lights from one switch using 2 finger touch, which is nice. They are set to a schedule, works every time.

JoshFerg said:
LabPaddy - What do you think of the switches after a few days? Have they been reliable?

I'm getting two of these in January (so says Plum... :unsure: ) and would like to incorporate them in my garage lighting as a first test case (has two switches controlling the lighting).  Do you have any of these used to replace a master/slave switch scenario?

I would like to find/incorporate a cheap controller (maybe the PI) that could do some simple automation.  I do have an unused Android phone (with no SIM) that I might be able to use with the WiFi possibly?? (strike that, no Android app yet as the OP stated above)

Back