Finally - UPB Fan Speed Controller

Wow!  You guys are great!! We really appreciate the comments (good and bad).

You are correct buttons can be configured like any other UPB button mode; however the fan output wire is directly wired through the LEDs.  That is, one of the top 3 LEDs needs to be on to power the fan.  No LED lit no power to the fan.  If more than one LED is lit the fan speed is that of the highest level/speed LED.

Note, per the UPB protocol standard the buttons will transmit fade up/down for dimming; however the fan controller outputs are all On/Off triacs (SSRs)... which means fading up/down is on/off.

The obvious improvement would be to have the light load wire (button/LED #4) dimmable.  That is probably a year away at best (need to sell current inventory, sorry).

One thing that is not obvious, there are two button labels included.  The one we show has "Off" for button / LED #4.  There is another label behind it (under the label cover) that has "Light" instead of 'Off'.

Yep... our faceplates may not win the beauty contest but they do offer a lot of flexibility.  Please know we do really like the idea of horizontal rockers/large-buttons.  It's on the list!

Thanks again for all you support!

Millard

Thank you Millard for listening (well reading).

Yup; here just upgraded many of my UPB switches to multiload / multipaddle with linking collapsing footprint a bit.

I removed any of the "button" style multilink switches during my update mostly cuz they looked sort of "old" and I wanted all of the switches to look the same.

That said I have 6 rooms today with fans.  Each of the rooms have the load wires going to one double 4X4 metal box. 

It would be nice to update the legacy fan switches I have in place today.

Attachments

• UPBandFANSWITCH.jpg
    UPBandFANSWITCH.jpg
    337.2 KB · Views: 15
MillardS said:
Wow!  You guys are great!! We really appreciate the comments (good and bad).

You are correct buttons can be configured like any other UPB button mode; however the fan output wire is directly wired through the LEDs.  That is, one of the top 3 LEDs needs to be on to power the fan.  No LED lit no power to the fan.  If more than one LED is lit the fan speed is that of the highest level/speed LED.

Millard
So you can cascade the LEDs!
I like that feature/behavior.

I do still feel like I made the right choice going with SA switches 6 or so years ago - reaffirmed by the fact that they're here listening and they're still moving forward.  Thanks Millard!  

Now, what can you tell us about this new backlit tabletop controller?  :pray:

Yeah, I already have that on my nightstand... it looked like there might be something new coming out looking at the devices in upstart.

The units seen in UPStart are for shade control and 4-output control.  Those are actually pretty high on the list.

Talk about perfect timing! Trying to order a few of these right now through automated Outlet in TX. They are checking stock. The numbers and prices was in their system.

SO HAPPY to see SA doing things. Its always a concern when there is nothing new for a long time and you start to question if someone will be in business next year. VERY HAPPY to see this.

Also, side note: Simply Automated has just about the best tech support in the business. They answer their phone EVERY time. VERY knowledgeable.

Tucker

Thank you very much Tucker.

Automated Outlet has them in stock now.  Just got them in today.

Your kind words and support are much appreciated.

We're here for ya,

Millard

This is exciting. Has anyone set this up yet in an HAI/HLC system yet? My zwave fan controls respond to a dim command (3 speeds only), trying to figure out how this would work in an HLC style room.

Back