First post, secure installation of outdoor ip cameras

I completely agree. I'm using an entry-level (8) port D-LINK gigabit managed switch. That gives me up to 7 VLANs + the trunk port for a measly $60.

I have the old Ooma box, so no bluetooth/DECT for me. That little box does put off a lot of heat though! I've been meaning to put some active cooling on it, but.... well, you know ;)

I don't want to derail this thread, but post after post you always list some hardware you're "playing with". How do you manage to have the time to tinker with so many toys!

I read on the new Ooma box there is less now.  No analog phone connectors; its only now blue tooth or DECT.

I don't want to derail this thread, but post after post you always list some hardware you're "playing with". How do you manage to have the time to tinker with so many toys!

I have been lucky here as I have had the opportunities to always tinker; even at work.  Work stuff big toys that I could never afford at home.

This was a "tinkering project" from many years ago.  Mostly trying to break the toys then writing about it; well a guide; a recipe of sorts I guess.

Unless you are high value family, I doubt someone is going to be getting a ladder to climb up to your camera and tap into your network. Although if you do suddenly become some big star, then please make sure your network doesn’t have any derogatory emails about your boss, mother-in-law, or any inappropriate pictures.  I suspect the Sony head-honcho wished all her emails passed the NYTimes sniff test.

I just checked my new Hikvision camera. The RJ-45 is routed through metal mounting bracket. The intruder would have to pry it off and do all this before some type of motion alert could be generated.

This is a fun thread - lots of great information!  Regarding super powerful routers which can do VLANs, OpenVPN, etc - I should mention the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter has amazing power/performance and the ability to do VPN, etc.  It's ultimately a linux based router on a hardware appliance and it runs OpenVPN, Vyatta, etc...  And with a street price of about $100 and a processor that'll outperform a $5K cisco router, it's great for the tinkerers among us.  I've also used MikroTik - it's barebones in UI but extremely powerful.  I've installed them at client sites and they're set and forget.

video321 said:
Just a thought if I may...
Running dedicated lower-power appliances is good, but the cost of acquisition plus operating costs (electricity) can add up quickly depending on how many you have vs. purchasing a single 24/7 box built for lower power consumption. With hardware these days you can get a powerful i3/i5 to idle around 30W.
I would agree...  I've tried to keep things pretty minimal but there's more I need to do to consolidate.  I run an NVR, NAS, and an HAPC with Elve - but all are as low powered as I can manage.

Yeah; here never updated / modded the Ubiquti AP OS.  Works great as it is.

Here always had carpc's and been playing with 4G tunneling over to the mothership. 

Both carpcs are running with Atom D525's these days and doing well.

I love that this thread is over 35 posts now! Usually most my threads generate sub 10 lol!

I am still paying attention to everything you guys are talking about so keep it going.. It will just be a little while before I implement any of this as my new house the cameras are for is still being built!

I did order a new four port NIC for my pfsense box to play around with having the wireless access point on it's on interface and maybe add a guest AP and learn how to run a captive portal for that just for fun.

You really should be sure to find an access point that supports multiple SSIDs and VLANs - then you trunk port the AP and have Guest and Trusted Wifi SSIDs separate.  We're also looking at adding a 3rd SSID that's for the kids that I can script to turn on/off at set times of the day.

Back