Food Recipes - Passing time while automating

wkearney99 said:
That and while I certainly enjoy my beverages, it's not like I'm going to sit around all day drinking for a 12 hour smoked pork shoulder.
Don't knock it till you've tried it!

Here too we sometimes have a wind issue which causes issues lighting the grill. 

I am impressed though that the little piezo lighter still works after all these years. 

The ice in the beer chills my head; that said I have an issue (for many many years) of chewing ice like popcorn. 

Ice issue cropped up a couple of weeks ago when I lost part of tooth.  I did get to "play" with the new video stuff at the dentist office.  Totally impressive to see the "big picture" of a cavern of missing piece of tooth on a big LCD screen and a filling from the other side inside of the cavern.

Automating with a "cook" theme?  (well; another venture into automation).
Published on Sep 15, 2014

Nucleus is a smart, Internet-connected intercom. Using Wi-Fi, an HD camera, and a touchscreen, it lets you extend your intercom system wherever you have internet access - and for much lower cost than traditional, hard-wired systems. In addition, since intercom systems naturally have units placed throughout the home, it makes the perfect platform to control the smart home. Using voice activation, simply say "Nucleus, turn on the lights" or "Nucleus, turn down the A/C" and it will relay the command to the appropriate device.
[youtube]http://youtu.be/gN3n-mvpUgw[/youtube]

I do a dish with spaghetti, asparagus, proscuitto and provolone.

Place a slice of provolone on a slice of proscuitto.
Roll, and slice in 1/2" segments.
Boil the asparagus for about 3 minutes, then transfer to ice water to shock it/preserve the color.
Use the asparagus water to cook the spaghetti.
While the spaghetti is cooking, slice the aspagus into 1/2' segments.
Heat a few table spoons of olive oil in a large pan and add a couple gloves of garlic, saute for 20-30 seconds.
Add the asparagus and cook for another minute or two.
Remove the pan from the heat.
When the spaghetti is done, drain it.
Add the the proscuitto/provolone segments to the asparagus/garlic oil.
Stir.
Add the hot spaghetti on top.
Toss and serve.

Only seasoning needed is a little pepper (the proscuitto has a lot of salt in it) I use red pepper flakes.

As a variation, you can slice grape tomatoes and put them in the pan with the proscuitto, cheese and asparagus right before you put the spaghetti on top.
The hot pasta will cook the tomatoes.

Thank you Desert_AIP.  Will try recipe.  Have never tried red pepper flakes on spaghetti.  We do some form of spaghetti here once a week or so. 

Got into a discussion relating to the difference between imported and domestic prosciutto while at a little grocery store a couple of weeks ago.

Recalling the pasta machine endeavor from the 70's.  It was a Christmas gift and wife made pasta drying it all over the kitchen one day; looked like it rained pasta.

Wife here does a chicken stuffed with prosciutto and provolone cheese.

Try lighting the charcoal grill with a MAPP gas torch.  The kind in the yellow canister.  Gets those coals going right quick!

pete_c said:
Thank you Desert_AIP.  Will try recipe.  Have never tried red pepper flakes on spaghetti.  We do some form of spaghetti here once a week or so. 

Got into a discussion relating to the difference between imported and domestic prosciutto while at a little grocery store a couple of weeks ago.

Recalling the pasta machine endeavor from the 70's.  It was a Christmas gift and wife made pasta drying it all over the kitchen one day; looked like it rained pasta.

Wife here does a chicken stuffed with prosciutto and provolone cheese.

Another variation would be to use smoked mozzarella. 
Tasty, but a bit more difficult to find depending on locale.

Desert_AIP

We roll and cut provolone and Prosciutto like you do to use for stuffing cherry peppers and I think that would be great with pasta.

Pete_C, it's gotta be the Parma imported Prosciutto for me. The domestic stuff that we get here is like salt lick by comparison.

Mike.

wkearney99 said:
Try lighting the charcoal grill with a MAPP gas torch.  The kind in the yellow canister.  Gets those coals going right quick!

wkearney99 said:

I use a mapp gas torch to light my pellet stove in the winter, think outside the box.

Yup; the little piezo lighter on the Jenn-Air grill still works fine.  I have not yet taken the smoker out of the box.

That said purchased a small butane gas filled mini torch on a little flexible whip a while ago and still occasionally use it.

I did start my last plumbing endeavor with an Acetylene torch; then completed it (little pieces) using my MAPP gas torch; so if need be have those on hand.

Yeah like the imported Prosciutto  best; same with the cheese

I do not like smoked cheese, never did.  That said I do recall in the 80's trying to make a cheese that tasted like imported cheese with a cheese factory in Wisconsin.  They did get it right after about a year of playing.

Just recently purchased Asiago cheese.

I am thinking it was imported (not sure)...but it did taste like the asiago cheese I had while in Asiago for vacation a few years back.

Desert_AIP said:
I'm going to have to try that :)

Here's my wife's recipe for the stuffed peppers. I want to add that it's very Important to get peppers that are as fresh as possible. We grow our own and stuff them the same day that we pick them.

[SIZE=14pt]Stuffed Cherry Peppers[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]

Figure on:

For 45 to 50 medium or ~70 smallish cherry peppers,
¾ to 1 pound Prosciutto De Parma
1 to 1 ½ regular Stella provolone
15 cloves garlic (so maybe one bulb)
Salt, pepper
1 ½ cups XVOO
3 to 4 cups vegetable oil
1 ½ to 2 quarts white vinegar

Rinse and mostly core the peppers (wear gloves); leave some white pith and seeds for hotness

Put into 2 deep 2-quart bowls and toss in ¾+ Tablespoon table salt
Pour in enough vinegar to cover peppers
Weight down with small plate so that peppers are completely immersed
Cover with plastic wrap for 24 hours

The next day –
Skin & chop garlic
Put ¼ cup XVOO in small frying pan
Add a good shake of salt and maybe ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Saute garlic on low heat until lightly golden
Once golden, remove from heat and add ½ to ¾ cup XVOO to stop the cooking

Meanwhile –
Take a layer of Prosciutto (some overlapping) 12” x 8”
Place a layer of provolone over it
Roll it up tightly, pressing with fingers so it sort of sticks together
Slice into ½” pieces – now start estimating
Drain peppers (not too dry) – just pour out lots of excess vinegar
Start stuffing.  Sometimes you’ll need to slice larger or combine a couple small slices of meat/cheese roll

Put peppers in jars – I find that this quantity makes 3 quart jars or 6 proportionally smaller ones.
Divide the garlic oil among jars
Fill each jar with remaining XVOO – NO MORE than 1/3 the way full (because it will congeal too  much in the refrigerator)
Top off each jar with vegetable oil to cover all peppers – do not leave exposed
Put the tops on and rotate jars to mix the oils and garlic.
Store in fridge.
Keeps for 3 to 4 months.

Mike.

Desert_AIP said:
@mikefamig

Sounds like "serves one" 

:D

Just cut the recipe in half for a single serving

A ball jar of these along with a bottle of home made wine make a nice gift when you're invited out to dinner, Mike.

Sunday we smoked two 9lb pork shoulders. Put them on the fire at 11pm saturday night and had pulled pork sandwiches Sunday afternoon. They came out great and I vacuum sealed and froze 16 8ounce packets.

Mike.

Back