FYI and a question

mikefamig

FYI I just learned that you can add a second wireless access point to your LAN and give it the same ssid as your first WAP and your clients will switch seamlessly from one to the other.

Question -

I learned to do this reading somewhere on the net and want to know if it is really as simple as it seems. I walked back and forth between the two WAP's with my Iphone and watched the wireless signal bars go up and down as I approached each access point. I have three nice Cisco WAP's that were retired from corporate that I would love to spread around here.

Mike.

You can configure each of the WAP's with the same SSID's / Passwords / different channels and seamlessly roam between the wireless access points.

Once this is done you should not noticed the switch in wireless access points.

pete_c said:
You can configure each of the WAP's with the same SSID's / Passwords / different channels and seamlessly roam between the wireless access points.

Once this is done you should not noticed the switch in wireless access points.

Thanks for that. I have the same ssid and passwords but didn't  know to set separate channels, I'll have to look at that.
Mike.

mikefamig said:

Thanks for that. I have the same ssid and passwords but didn't  know to set separate channels, I'll have to look at that.
Mike.
Yes,different channels. Let's say that the first and third esp don't overlap. Then they can use the same channel. If you don't know, assume they overlap. The real fun is that there are usually dozens of neighbors overlapping making it hard to figure out.

linuxha said:
Yes,different channels. Let's say that the first and third esp don't overlap. Then they can use the same channel. If you don't know, assume they overlap. The real fun is that there are usually dozens of neighbors overlapping making it hard to figure out.
And the fact that a "channel" is really 4 channels wide.  Like in the 2.4Ghz band, you really only have three channels 1, 6, & 11.  But channels can overlap, and two people can even use the same channel, its just that speeds will suffer a bit.

ano said:
And the fact that a "channel" is really 4 channels wide.  Like in the 2.4Ghz band, you really only have three channels 1, 6, & 11.  But channels can overlap, and two people can even use the same channel, its just that speeds will suffer a bit.

I learned about the frequency overlap from the software that I linked to above. It turns out that channels 1 and 11 work well for me here with no neighbors interfering.

Mike.

The interesting thing you'll notice though is that if you connect to one WAP and walk closer to another, most devices aren't smart enough to jump to the strongest signal - they'll hold onto even a weak signal as long as they possibly can before disconnecting and searching again.  The way the fancier systems handle this is by forcing the client off and making it search again.  Sometimes even if you're standing right next to one WAP, it'll still associate with one that's weaker and further away.

I have a set of 3 Ubiquiti Unifi access points in my house.  They are designed to do quick & seamless hand-off between access points.  Even when upgrading the firmware on them, they do a rolling update where only one updates at a time and nobody notices any loss of internet.

@Mike,

Best to do a radio survey between access points and tweak down the power on each AP such that there is little overlap. 

Areas where you have overlap will be problematic.

JonW said:
I have a set of 3 Ubiquiti Unifi access points in my house.  They are designed to do quick & seamless hand-off between access points.  Even when upgrading the firmware on them, they do a rolling update where only one updates at a time and nobody notices any loss of internet.

I have three Cisco Access Points that can do the same but the setup is complicated and over my head, what I know about networking is only what I taught myself. Right now the primary AP in the house is whatever Frontier Communications installed and the Cisco is in the detached garage and I can stream music to my Iphone from a pc in the house while I now my lawn. It seems to work pretty well but I've only done that once up to now.

Mike.

@mikefamig - that's exactly how I used to set things up until UniFi came along; now I just opt for their products, whether I need just one AP or several more - they make it so painless.  But there's no reason yours shouldn't work as long as you are using a different channel.

Reason for the mention of tweaking the mixture of AP's are relating to overlap dead zones. 

It relates to tweaking down the radios so that there is little overlap between the APs. (even using different channels).

Really though shouldn't be much of an issue with a home multiple AP configuration.

@Pete_c - you can definitely get away with being lazy with up to 3 AP's, then you're absolutely correct - you can get all sorts of weirdness in the overlapping channels - you'll see full bars and have zero connectivity, and other such interference.

I took a quick look and that Unifi technology looks very cool but I think that I'm good with what I have here. I just spent an hour sucking up leaves while dragging a roller for over an hour while streaming Amazon Prime music on my Iphone and it was seamless with both AP's at full power. I wish I learned about this sooner. Up until now I've been loading an Ipod nano that I bought fifteen years ago for tunes when I mow. You just can't kill a nano. Even the battery is still good.

Mike.

EDIT

I had cell service turned off on the phone so I know it was wifi streaming.

Back