FYI re email attachments

Note, I specifically called out Windows Live Mail, and not the included Mail client with Windows 10.  

I despise the whole Metro tiled look nonsense, and Windows 10 window-treatment specifically.  There's a lot to like about 10, but their departure from traditional GUI constructs is ugly and generally tends to make things more difficult to use, for me anyway.  I'd take the underpinnings of 10 if they'd just bring back the classic UI (and I'm not talking about the Start menu, but actual window decorations and such).  Or at least make it optional, none of the tweak schemes can overcome what they've wrecked behind-the-scenes.  But that's a whole other conversation, unrelated to e-mail.

One other option to consider, and one I used to have set up, is to run your own internal mail server.  Then use tools like fetchmail to pull mail from all of your accounts.  I got out of the habit of doing this when we moved and I've not yet set that server back up again.  The advantage there was I had my own local copy of all the mail should there be any problem with the servers or connection.  This mattered more in the days when server mailbox sizes were much more restricted than today.

For me the upside to using an IMAP client is not having to put up with all the sidebar advertising and tracking they inflict upon you when using a browser-based interface.  I can use the browser, when necessary, but greatly prefer not having to do so

wkearney99 said:
Note, I specifically called out Windows Live Mail, and not the included Mail client with Windows 10. 
Thanks for that because I am hating the Mail client. I installed Thunderbird and set it up as an IMAP client and I like it so far. It set up smoothly and is retrieveing mails quickly. It is working and Windows Mail client is not.

I sent an email to myself using WIN10 mail and while it showed up immediately on Yahoo web mail it took several minutes to show up in the window mail client.

Mike.

The time it takes for a message to show up is entirely controlled by the sync frequency.  Set it too fast and you just waste network bandwidth and your computer's CPU.  Set it too slow and you don't see messages as quickly as you might expect.  It's a trade-off.  I've no idea where but I'm sure there's probably a setting buried in W10 Mail that controls it.

At this point Thunderbird is winning by a long shot over WIN10 client and Yahoo Mail. It did have just one glitch when retrieving all emails. It delivered an email from 2015 as having arrived this morning. I only see the one error so far and I'lll keep an eye on it.

Overall it was a smooth install and runs fast.

Mike.

Good news Mike!

Relating to email at home in general I only run it when I want to read emails.  I do a manual send and receive, get emails then shut off email.  That is me though.  Phones and tablets are different.

Here aside from the email services that I mentioned above set up another email address many many years ago which ties to hosting services, dynamic DNS and domain naming.

The email pieces are inexpensive paid for every 3-5 years.

Now that I've been using Thunderbird for a couple of months I may just go back to the web browser. T-Bird is nicely planned but not so well executed. It's just plain buggy.

@Mike,

Here still using Microsoft office Outlook of old with all accounts (POP and SMTP) still working just fine.  This is for me much quicker than web based mail.

IE: you can still do Outlook Hotmail/MSN/GMail mail using POP and SMTP. 

pete_c said:
@Mike,

Here still using Microsoft office Outlook of old with all accounts (POP and SMTP) still working just fine.  This is for me much quicker than web based mail.

IE: you can still do Outlook Hotmail/MSN/GMail mail using POP and SMTP. 

I don't have Outlook on this PC and I prefer IMAP to POP mail.

I'm going to try Gmail mail server next. I've been using Yahoo mail only because I used to have ATT as my ISP and they use Yahoo mail for their att.net mail server. I think that Gmail is capable of retrieving mail from the yahoo server but I don't know if I will be able to send using the att.net as the default account. I'll play with it this morning.

Yeah here do and do not utilize email services from Comcast / Verizon (Verizon has switched over to AOL and now Yahoo). 

I do not think that CC or Verizon wants to be in the business of email stuff anymore such that they are subletting it to other companies now. 

The ISPs though utilize the email for their own purposes (like advertising and selling stuff) making it not worth using (except I do utilize the SMTP pieces but not the POP pieces).  Thinking too that is why Verizon purchased AOL originally. 

Outlook, GMail, Yahoo works OK for me but best is private paid for Email services (from years back).  It is relatively inexpensive and typically I pay for 3 years of it at a shot.  I call up to renew it rather than the automatic thing and typically can get a deal on it relating to a long time use customer thing.  You can purchase email stuff from domain services companies, hosting services, et al.  They all offer any email name you want and packages with multiple accounts too.

I do typically try to download the emails to outlook / removing them from server and archiving them after a period of time such that they are all in one spot.   

Here though use one email address for this and another one for that and old Office Outlook polls all of the email services.

Back