Garage door contact with GE wireless module not working

ajgyomber

I've been a CocoonTech member for many years but never really post. I'm hoping someone with Elk expertise can tell me what I am doing wrong.

I purchased a HoneyWell Ademco 958 Overhead Door Contact which is used for garage doors. I wired it to a GE Interlogix NX-650N Door/Window Sensor which allows for external wired connections.

I did not use any resistor and for whatever reason it does not detect whether the garage door is open or closed. The sensor by itself seems to work fine. It's only when I wire it to the door contact.

Is there a trick to getting this combo working? I would post links to the stuff but the forum will not allow me.

Thanks in advance!

--AJ

Welcome to the Cocoontech forum AJ.

Is there a trick to getting this combo working?

No.

I would post links to the stuff but the forum will not allow me.

A few more forum posts and you will be able to post links and pictures. 

It is a safety feature thing that is built in to the forum.

I do not have a HoneyWell Ademco 958 Overhead door contact nor a GE Interlogix NX-650N

Just googled both devices

GE Interlogix NX-650N.jpgGE Interlogix NX-650N-1.jpg
Honeywell-958.jpg

GE Interlogix NX-650N Input selection

Only one door/window input can be used at any given time. For
example, if the external contact is used, internal reed switches cannot be used.
Note: Power down the device before positioning the input
selection.

Caution:  You must install the EOL resistor at the external
detection device for proper supervision. For UL listed
installations, the EOL resistor must be UL listed, manufactured
by Edwards part number EOL-4k7L, and rated 4.7Kohm.

Normally closed
Zero ohm/short = Tamper
4.7 K ohm = Normal
Open = Alarm

Normally open
Zero ohm/short = Tamper
4.7 K ohm = Alarm
Open = Normal

I do utilize switches similar to the HoneyWell Ademco 958 door contacts wired to my OmniPro II panel.

There have been discussions here on the forum relating to using a commercial style armored cable garage door sensor or just a regular wired switch for home garage door use.

Have you moved the input selection switch on the GE Interlogix NX-650? 

Well and have you tested to see if the input setting only works right now with the internal reed switches?

Pete,

Thanks for the reply. It's been a while since I messed with it but I believe I completely removed the jumper and when wiring the external contact. I am going to revisit this and I'll post back some more findings.

Thanks,
AJ

Albert Gyomber said:
I did not use any resistor and for whatever reason it does not detect whether the garage door is open or closed. The sensor by itself seems to work fine. It's only when I wire it to the door contact.

Welcome!

My understanding of the instructions is that you MUST install a 4.7K EOL resistor when using the NX-650N with an external contact.  That's probably the trick you are missing. :)

And make sure you removed the jumper from the 650N so it knows that it should be using the external contact.

If things still don't work, let us know and we'll suggest some other things to try.

Ral,

I appreciate your guys level of detail in helping me troubleshoot. I'm on baby-duty right now but I'll find my resistors and try that after the little guy goes to sleep. I really hope that is it!

--AJ

I'm at a complete loss. I put a 4.7K EOL resistor in-line with one of the leads coming from the contact switch and there is no change in behavior. I tried both option 1 and option 2 combinations in ElkRP2 software and nothing changes. It appears that it simply does not detect the reed switch in the Honeywell 958. The internal reed functionality works fine on the NX-650N if I insert the jumper and use the normal magnetic contact.

The tamper switch seems to be detected without issue but the Honeywell 958 is not. I wonder if I need the Honewell 958-2 instead? At this point I'm pretty confused. I have two of everything so I doubt any unit is defective.

--AJ

You shouldn't need a 958-2.  That just gives you both a normally open and a normally closed set of contacts.  The NX650 should be able to work just fine with a 958, which is a Form A contact.

Two things to try...

Disconnect the cable from the NX650 and put a multimeter on the wires and use the Ohms scale to see if the reed switch (and cable) are working as they should, with the door open and the door closed.  Do you get a reading of 4.7K with the door closed and infinite/open with the door open?

If that checks out ok, then test the NX650 by just connecting a 4.7k resistor across the external terminals.  Arm the M1, and then disconnect the resistor.  Does that trigger the alarm?

What status does the M1 show for the zone? 

I got it working. I originally tried a resistor from a Radio Shack package I bought and it did not work. I later found the very tiny resistor that it came with and that fixed the issue. Thanks for putting me on the right track!

--AJ

I got it working. I originally tried a resistor from a Radio Shack package I bought and it did not work. I later found the very tiny resistor that it came with and that fixed the issue. Thanks for putting me on the right track!

Good news AJ!!

Back