Google's parent company is disabling old smart home devices

"Cloud based" is a very broad term and confuses most of the arguments.

"Cloud dependant" and "cloud enhanced" are term that should be used to differentiate.

For most experienced HA and other "smart anything"  users, "cloud enhanced" can be a fabulous thing, while "cloud dependant" is just going to be trouble down the road with the façade that hooks so many people. You will eventually pay, or the service will disappear, leaving you with an empty wallet and nothing to show for it.

Of course to much of the younger crowd, with their heads in the cloud, money means nothing.

There's a ton of aspects to consider when it comes to gracefully dealing with failure.  

A lot of folks don't understand that it's difficult, legally, for a company to "give away" anything. Shareholder value and all that.  So that's one factor that keeps what seems what ought to be the 'right thing to do' from happening.  But it sure seems like it'd have been MUCH more cost-effective to buy those folks out ahead of time, rather than just shutting them down.  To say nothing of the idea of just letting it limp along until an actual viable alternative existed.  Nope, instead they actively alienated existing customers and brought a slew of negative press down on the heads of a whole range of innovation.  Gee, thanks Google...

It's also hard to grasp that each 'operating unit' within an organization has to justify it's existence.  Be this just a product or a whole division.  This falls on the personnel, and quite often their own personal self-interest gets in the way of what the customers/market think is the 'right thing'.  As in, lots of underlings likely know what a mess it'll be but don't want to risk their jobs to tackle the problems.

Google's mistakes here are both a blessing and a curse.  For one it raises the public's awareness regarding automation.  Unfortunately, not in a good way with regard to utilizing Internet-integrated features (aka, 'the cloud').

An in-depth post mortem on just how they came to this point would be a fascinating read.  But like many failed tech initiatives we'll likely never know the 'whole story'.

As an ISY994i owner I guess 5% of my home automation system cost would be better than nothing.

My ISY994i was what.. $129 c/w with hardware, PS, and firmware, while my peripheral devices were about $50 average for each for 50 devices?

I wonder if they have to show receipts or pay return shipping too and who would pay the taxes incurred at 13%, and original shipping?

OK, make that about 2-3% then.

Code:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Google_products#Discontinued_products_and_services

Back