Granny cam?

wkearney99

Anyone have recommendations (for or against) various kinds of IP cameras for helping monitor the elderly?

My father-in-law passed two weeks ago (heart stopped while drying hands in the powder room, blocking the door unfortunately).  But at least it was quick.

Meanwhile my mother-in-law is still going strong.  But there have been a few episodes of missed steps and I worry about the risk of her falling at home. Yes, the old "I've fallen and I can't get up" scenario.

There's wifi and internet service at the house.  There's a Mac Mini (2007).  I could certainly add anything else if necessary.  Wireless cameras would probably be ideal, but there is a full open-joist basement that'd allow for stringing CAT5 if necessary.

I suppose it'd be ideal if there was some sort of voice recognition to help detect issues.  I don't see her being willing to wear a gizmo.  I'm debating whether she'd accept an idea like a fitbit bracelet or something similar. 

I'm wondering what's available both DIY and as a subscription service that might be useful.

Anyone had actual experience with this sort of application?

wkearney99 said:
I don't see her being willing to wear a gizmo.  I'm debating whether she'd accept an idea like a fitbit bracelet or something similar. 

Most of the Life Alert type alarm systems allow the pendant to be worn around the neck, or on the wrist, like a watch.  It isn't exactly fashion jewelery, by maybe she won't mind.

We used Rescue Alert with my M-I-L and they were very good.  We chose them because we felt they had the most flexible plan options.  They always responded quickly, were very friendly, and were very understanding over the occasional false alarm.

In some of the assisted living places that we looked at, they had PIR devices that would alert them if there hadn't been movement in the apartment for some period of time.  Not sure how well that worked or whether it would be reasonable for an at-home situation.

Back