HAI 45A001-1 Range? Seems very poor.

Robilium

Hey guys - 

I am struggling with the range on my HAI 45A00-1 Wireless Transmitter.  I have a 2 story home and have mounted the transmitter right in the center of it at the top of a cathedral ceiling wall where it says 'stairs' in the picture below.  It is working on the door contact sensor between the gameroom and the garage but isnt reaching into the gym.  Also another sensor between the Utility and Dining room is often going out of range.  

I measured the distances and they are both only about 50' away.  I checked RSSI loop Values and even for a sensor 5 feet away in clear air I only get an RSSI value of 2: FAIR.  

Any ideas on the poor range?

902162_10151387533961915_271561780_o.jpg

RF propagation through walls et can be magical and unpredictable. 50 feet is not really that far away. 

I have two 45A00-1's of these wired but not currently utilized.  I also have one 42A00-2 set up in the attic but not currently utilized.  One is in the attic center of the house over the second story.  The second 45A00-1 is somewhat buried in the first floor of the house adjacent to an in wall speaker.

I do have other wireless recievers similiarly set up and they work fine with devices inside and outside of the home.  I have larger antennas used for RF in the attic.  These are configured such that the ground plane is the top of the antenna with the antenna below the ground plane (upsidedown).  Works for me.

If you mounted the HAI 45A00-1 in the attic you would not physically see it and it may work better mounted in the attic.  If you have a chase from the comm closet to the attic you might be able to test the RF propagation some. 

In Florida; the house is one story but elevated some 10 feet (or more) (FEMA code stuff).  I have the HAI 45A00-1 in the attic almost to the ceiling of the attic (some 12 feet) and above the wiring closet in the middle of the house.

You should have went with a 42A00-2.  I think range is about the same, but there are several varieties of repeater available. I have one and they work great.

Other than that, imagine a straight line connecting the sensor and receiver. Is there any metal blocking that line?  Could be a filing cabinet, refrigerator, etc.  If so see if you can correct the problem.  Put the receiver higher if you can.

Back