HAI, locks, and babysitters (oh my)

pgray007

We have an HAI Omnipro II that's working well, along with a Schlage Zwave lock on our front door. The lock has been great in terms of preventing lost keys, letting the kids come in and out, etc, however it seems half the town has a door code, between cleaning ladies, sitters, etc., and I have no logging or ability to time/date restrict certain codes, or easily add/revoke codes.

Currently the lock isn't tied to he Omnipro, since all the documentation I've seen for integrating Zwave locks is several years old, and calls for hardware I can't source anywhere, although I do have an old VZC0P but haven't tried connecting it.

Basically what I'd like to do is be able to easily add/revoke access codes, and limit access times, and log which codes come in, either with the Omni or using some other zwave solution. I'd even replace the lock or add hardware/software (homeseer?) if necessary, although a door strike probably isn't feasible as this is a hardwood door with side lites. I'd also be willing to sacrifice OPII integration, but ideally would like codes that can turn the alarm on/off as well.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't believe you can do codes with the Omni integration. You can integrate those Zwave locks with the Omni though.

You might have a look at the Kevo line. They allow more options with keys, which reside on your Bluetooth enabled phone or with a dongle. I guess the downside is you have to carry one of those devices rather than individual codes.

I love my August smart lock.   It provides all of the features that you want (logging ability to delete codes), It even sends a notification to your phone when someone unlocks the door.  unfortuantely, it doesn't yet integrate with much, but you use the IFTTT to help control it.

Frankly, I didn't find a need to do that since I have it set to automatically lock in a minute.

pgray007 said:
Basically what I'd like to do is be able to easily add/revoke access codes, and limit access times, and log which codes come in, either with the Omni or using some other zwave solution. I'd even replace the lock or add hardware/software (homeseer?) 

Yes, HomeSeer can do what you are looking for.  Codes can be added/removed through events or manually.  

Would Homeseer do this via the existing Schlage lock? What additional hardware do I need to enroll/interface between an HS box and the zwave lock (beyond a homeseer box). I haven't done much with Zwave since the days of needing the Leviton remote control thing, and enrolling/copying and a bunch of other convoluted steps.

If you get a HS box that has a zwave controller built in, you should not need anything else.  If you get the HS software to install on your own hardware, then you would need a zwave interface.  Here's a comparison of the choices: http://www.homeseer.com/compare-z-wave-interfaces.html   The zwave.me interface is available in US frequencies as well.

Cheers
Al

PS they have their 50% off sale right now: http://www.homeseer.com/support/newsletters/current-promo.htm   I would go for the standard version, not the pro.

Back