HAI OmniPro II Upgrade chip procedure help please

Just want to add an update to the thread in case other people are looking for similar info. I struggled to find the correct information and benefited greatly from read the discussions at the forum.

I have an old HAI HAI OMNIPro II 20A00-2 controller/processor/board with two chips, similar to Juan's, one on the left side marked as "©2002 HAI 20A04-2  2.2" (located at U29 slot) and the other on the right side marked as "©2002 HAI 20A05-2  2.0" (located at U30 slot). I did a quick test by removing the U30 chip and restarted the processor. The system worked normally, and the language choice was still available from the console. (To look up part number and description, check this document at alarmnow.net.)

If U30 is a language chip, as Trey mentioned, I wonder if there'd be any issue if I selected a language other than English. I didn't run any test to see the impact resulted from language selection, but did put the chip back to the board. It worked normally as expected.

I spoke with tech support at Leviton, and was told that only U29 chip needed to be replaced for old HAI board with 3 serial ports. The part number should be 20A04-2 XX. XX is the firmware version number. The current version is 3.16. In fact he told me that the only upgrading option was through chip replacement for old boards and that you would not be able to update the firmware version using PC Access. But new boards with 5 serial ports would allow you to upgrade firmware using PC Access.

Using PC Access to upgrade EPROM - According to the technical document shared in the thread, "In most cases, upgrading a Controller Program ROM will not alter or loose the programs, set-up, names, etc. in the controller’s memory. Just in case, you should upload the system using PC Access Software, or write down all codes, zone types, names, phone numbers, misc. set up items, address, and programs."  It seems that either the dealer edition or the user edition should work, if you review the current owner's manuals. However, ano mentioned in another thread that he learned the hard way that the "client" PC access will not record and store all the "dealer" type settings, like zone details. The dealer PC access will restore everything. The user edition is about 1/3 of the price of the dealer edition if you buy it online.

Mobile Apps - If you are interested to use Snap-Link mobile apps (iOS, Android or Windows 10), the minimum firmware version number is 3.4 according to tech support. Note that if you download the mobile app from app stores, you may see that the required firmware version is 3.2 (3.4 recommended). Below is part of the description from one app store.

***Requires 3.2 (3.4 recommended) firmware in your Ethernet enabled controller, and port forwarding in your router. For questions, please out support forum, or call our technical support department ***

I upgraded EPROM chip (ordered by eBay) on my processor with the latest version 20A04-2 3.16, and it worked. I learned a few things below.

1) The Ethernet function was not enabled with my old chip; it was enabled for version 2.4 or later, per tech support.
2) The zone settings were not affected/deleted by the upgrade.
3) The end user version software allowed you to view/change user level settings, including zone names. But it didn't give the option to change zone type, at least for version 2013. Also, it didn't show any dealer settings, such as dealer phone number, account info, etc.
4) Once I set port forwarding on your home network router, I was able to purchase, download and set up the mobile app. It worked. As people have pointed out, I could arm/disarm security. I could check status, however, the app didn't send alerts to me via the Internet.

Back