HAI wireless

RedDirt

I read the HAI announcement about wireless control protocol. But, I didn't see which one they decided on - are they going to support Z-Wave?

RedDirt

good question, from what I can tell by the pictures, it isn't Zwave as there aren't any z-wave motion sensors out there yet.

Support for Lutron RadioRA Lighting Control is now available in HAI controllers.

I wonder why they chose Lurtron RadioRA instead of Z-wave?

I'm about to build a new house and I'm going to use HomeSeer and HAI Omni. But, I'm having trouble deciding on the control protocol:
Powerline - UPB
Wireless - Z-wave, RadiRA
Hardwired - ALC

RedDirt

If I were building a new house, I'd do as much hard wired as possible. Wireless is an option for people who can't run wires (most people), but it's no replacement for wired, which is always going to be faster, more robust, and more secure.

I wouldn't recommend a particular product or technology, just that a wired solution (all other things being equal, which they often are not) will be more robust, faster, and more secure, for the obvious reasons. But, there may be other issues for you that would override that fundamental rule.

I wouldn't personally consider powerline based as being wired. I meant really something either with it's own dedicated control lines or something which uses the hardwired network backbone perhaps (though I'm not aware right off hand of anything that does that, directly I mean though there are plenty of scenarios where you effectively extend control of a device over the network via indirect means such as ethernet based serial ports and the like.)

But, I'm not a custom installer, I'm a software automation vendor, so you'd be best off getting advice from experienced installers who know your particular situation well.

When are you going to build your new home?

The reason I ask is if its a ways off I would try to wait. The reason is my sources tell me that HAI may actually come out with their own brand of UPB!

Right now UPB is pretty expensive. Its technology is revolutionary though as even though they still use the power line for its data communication, they do NOT use the zero crossing of the AC sine wave for its "data bits" signal as traditional X-10 systems do. Instead they use the noise that is inherent on AC lines and "modulate" that for their data communications. The result is a faster signal response (don't have to "wait" for a zero crossing to transfer data) and more reliable signal immune to noise (which is the main problem with X-10 signals). I believe UPB will be THE way to go for reliable automation components. Its main hurdles will be compatibility with existing software and controllers such as Homeseer and the Ocelot, but if HAI comes out with their own line, maybe all of that will break soon.

I'm not a big fan of HAI, but it may well be worth considering if they truly come out with economical pricing of UPB components.

Hopefully HAI will come out with some sort of announcement to confirm this rumor. For now we will just have to sit and wait to see what the future holds!

You can currently get this technology from places like Automated Outlet. I also like that fact that UPB systems will have those multiple switched faceplates so you can get "multiple" transmitters to control "other" UPB products much like the current Keypadlinc8 technology. When UPB controllers come out these switches would also be great for toggling macros. There seems to be a lot of potential with this product line!

Regards,

BSR

The reason is my sources tell me that HAI may actually come out with their own brand of UPB!

Are you sure you understood the info (re HAI coming out with upb products) correctly? HAI has annouced that they will support UPB (via an add-on card) but I haven't heard anything about them selling switches, etc. Unless you've been talking to a distributor that I know is in your area...(You didn't mention names, so I won't either). ;)

I wouldn't recommend a particular product or technology, just that a wired solution (all other things being equal, which they often are not) will be more robust, faster, and more secure, for the obvious reasons

I second the call for a wired system if possible. A lot of the custom installers will use a wired system, then use X10/zwave/upb to fill in the inevitable spots were they didn't run wires (or more likely the SO of the house made changes after the sheetrock was up). The various technologies are not mutually exclusive.

jlehnert said:
Are you sure you understood the info (re HAI coming out with upb products) correctly? HAI has annouced that they will support UPB (via an add-on card) but I haven't heard anything about them selling switches, etc. Unless you've been talking to a distributor that I know is in your area...(You didn't mention names, so I won't either)
;)

Back