HD Player for Restaurant

hucker

I have a buddy with a Restaurant and he wants to setup a TV that plays a bunch of surf movies all day while people are waiting or dining. Ideally accessing the movies off of a thumb drive would be best. My sagetv unit would work perfectly, but it appears that these aren't really available with the buyout. He'd like to buy new so ebay is out. What is the easiest/best/reliable way to get a digital movie player running for him. He doesn't care about any internet connections, networks etc.

Thanks!

There are so many of them out there, but here is one which has good reviews, and is very affordable:

http://www.amazon.com/Micca-Slim-Portable-Digital-2-5-Inch/dp/B002ABX29I

I know there are lots out there but I'm looking for the ability to play a bunch of movies in a row, sort of a play list, so they don't need to keep selecting movies throughout the day. If the player can't do that it is a bust. Features like that usually don't make the feature list so I'm asking if anyone has experience with a player that can play a 'playlist' from a USB thumb drive. Sagetv's HD200 can do it but I can't buy a new one.

EDIT: I just read the reviews on amazon and it says it will do a playlist! Thanks Dan!

WDTV will autoplay & loop videos on startup and you can do tons of other stuff with the hacked firmware.

My new Samsund TV does this using the built in AllShare. I used SageTV for years but now I store all of my movies on my laptop and stream them wirelessly to my new SamsungTV and when one finishes the next one starts. I really like this combination.

You can also get a Patriot Box Office NMT for around $50 on sale. Simple and fast is just drop a new OS via a thumbdrive and put a 1 TB drive in it; fitting it behind the TV. You can remote it via the network or use the remote. Its a bit similiar to the WDTV box except that you can put a small 2.5" SATA drive in it. I have 4 of these online 24/7 and they have done just fine over the last few months.

So we bought the one Dan suggested and just my luck it doesn't work :( Online it says it plays mp4, the manual says it plays mp4 but of course the mp4s that I've been using for years on SageTV and VLC won't play... unsupported format. Argh.

Are your MP4 files encoded with AC3 audio? Might want to try to convert them to a more basic format.

Went to the website and found some very good documentation on how to make it work. Turns out the Micca doesn't support MP4 with H.264. Sort of a problem if your whole library is 264 but for my neighbor it is going to work out. Since he is making everything moving forward.

Back