Hometroller S6 Just Died

Yes sorry I guess I skipped that part. I am going to do a new Homeseer build on my spare laptop as a zero cost stopgap to get some basic things working again. Later I'll find some way to install the SSD from the S6 into something to verify that it is indeed still viable before ordering the Shuttle PC and moving it over to that. My main reasons for doing this are the fact that I don't really know what all failed in the S6 so don't want to buy a replacement box if the drive is dead anyway plus shipping with storms and the Monday Holiday suggests I couldn't pursue that route very quickly anyway.

I'm thinking of getting one of these to test the drive from the S6.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-3-5-inches-SATA-Drive-Enclosure/dp/B01N5RLG2C/ref=sr_1_5?crid=LT9CB6ZM7JBG&keywords=external%2Bsata%2Bdrive%2Benclosure&qid=1547916889&sprefix=external%2Bsata%2Caps%2C156&sr=8-5&th=1

Do you have a copy of the S6 Homeseer 3 directory or a back up of the HS3 directory running on the S6?

You can download UltraVNC over here ==> UltraVNC

I have a copy of the directory from last May I think. I was going to run the regular install and then overwrite the directory with my copy to see where that gets me. If I can then get the S6 drive working in an external adapter next week I can copy the most current files over. At that point I can determine the value and feasibility of getting the Shuttle PC and moving the S6 drive into it vs. working through any remaining issues around using the laptop long term.

Be aware that as of this date, 2019-01-20, there are no Way2Call drivers for Windows 10!  Way2Call says they are working on creating them, but they've been saying that for months.  Some Homeseer users have reported they are able to get the W2C to work with HSphone on Windows 10, many others have not.  I'm one of the "not" group. 

Before you invest too much time on the laptop solution, you might want to confirm that HSphone will work in your install!  When you first start Homeseer, with HSphone enabled, look for a message in the log that says something like :
"Adding phone line 1, Name: Default Line, Modem: Way2Call Hi-Phone Desktop". 
If see that, then HSphone is recognizing your W2C and you should be good to go.

Fred

ITguy said:
Be aware that as of this date, 2019-01-20, there are no Way2Call drivers for Windows 10!  Way2Call says they are working on creating them, but they've been saying that for months.  Some Homeseer users have reported they are able to get the W2C to work with HSphone on Windows 10, many others have not.  I'm one of the "not" group. 

Before you invest too much time on the laptop solution, you might want to confirm that HSphone will work in your install!  When you first start Homeseer, with HSphone enabled, look for a message in the log that says something like :
"Adding phone line 1, Name: Default Line, Modem: Way2Call Hi-Phone Desktop". 
If see that, then HSphone is recognizing your W2C and you should be good to go.

Fred

I actually don't care if Way2Call works if I can get the same functionality a different way. The only thing I use it for is to announce incoming caller ID text (not phone number) so I can decide if i want to scramble off my ladder or wherever I am to answer the phone. This remains critical functionality to me but if there is some alternative way to do it then I am fine to change. Can a NetcallerID box or some other kind of modem provide this function in Homeseer?

So at this point HS is running on the laptop and my copy of the directory from last May restored all of my events with very little missing. If I can pull files off the S6 SSD next week then I will be even closer to current state at the time of failure. Remaining gaps are:

TTS voices - not sure if ATT SAPI voices will install on Windows 10 but the default MS voice is good enough that there is no urgency solving this.

Caller ID - I have a Netcaller ID box but those are as old as Way2Call. If it is just a serial connection with no configuration then maybe would work but if it needs drivers then probably not. UltraJones has a plugin that uses old style 56KB USB modems but not sure if it will do what I need... plus would have to buy a new Zoom or US Robotics modem.

I think that is really all I need to solve. I ended up using TightVNC to run the install from my desk PC and it worked perfectly. If I can get caller ID going then I can work on a long-term fix later as time permits.

Turns out the latest driver from Way2Call does work with Windows 10, they just don't acknowledge it on the website. Only thing not set up are my old AT&T voices. Overall not a bad disaster recovery outcome.

TTS voices - not sure if ATT SAPI voices will install on Windows 10 but the default MS voice is good enough that there is no urgency solving this.

Here all of my SAPI voice fonts are 32 bit.  You can install these fine on Windows 10 64 bit and utilize the 32bit SAPI controller.

For Homeseer Speaker running for HS3 Pro in Linux I utilize an Oracle VB running Windows 2003 server 32 bit with SAPI and 6 instances of speaker running 6 different SAPI fonts.

Here also have Way2Call and the old NetCID box.  Still using Way2Call (2) for voice announcement and dropping calls.

I was thinking of using Netcaller ID as a potential backup/alternative to Way2Call but am having trouble finding any info on installation requirements. I see a couple of floppy disks included in the box which does not bode well for Windows 10 compatibility. Does this device require any actual device dtivers? Or do you just need a functioning serial port and the Homeseer plugin handles the device configuration and management?

Also wondering if there are Windows 10 drivers for my old Keyspan USB to serial adapters?

Does this device require any actual device dtivers?

no

Or do you just need a functioning serial port and the Homeseer plugin handles the device configuration and management?

yes

The NetCID device just reads the CID and provides a serial output.  It is not a modem. 

Good to know. I'll be sure to hang on to my NetcallerID units in case the Way2Call becomes an issue in future versions of Homeseer or Windows/Linux.

upstatemike said:
Good to know. I'll be sure to hang on to my NetcallerID units in case the Way2Call becomes an issue in future versions of Homeseer or Windows/Linux.
Not sure if the WAFNetCallerID script is supported anymore in HomeSeer.  I do have scripts from HomeSeer 1.7 (.vbh and .txt files) that I used (modified) for this device.

This 'just' reads the caller-id FYI (not sure what the Way2Call's capabilities are).

BraveSirRobbin said:
Not sure if the WAFNetCallerID script is supported anymore in HomeSeer.  I do have scripts from HomeSeer 1.7 (.vbh and .txt files) that I used (modified) for this device.

This 'just' reads the caller-id FYI (not sure what the Way2Call's capabilities are).

I think Blade is supporting a current NetCallerID plugin.

You can also read CID with an old serial Robotics modem (or similiar) or newer USB based modems (which are really serial modems).

Here with the Way2Call box never did utilize the messages features but did alway utilize the call blocking features and you can use it to send out internal and external calls with whatever CID you want.  IE: here for a bit would ring the phones with the CID of "door bell" when the door bell rang.

Back