House has speakers everywhere... what now?

mikefromgeorgia said:
Two quick questions about the selector setup.  What size of two channel amp would I need?  Secondly, if it matches impedance from the selector am i able to have some speaker pairs with, and some without, a volume controller?
I used an old 5 channel AVR to power 7 zones, using the front L and R channels.  Worked fine. 

drvnbysound said:
ano,

That obviously assumes they are actually impedance matching controls. Most of the ones that I've seen and installed aren't impedance matching and just remain at 8-ohm, thus need to be wired to independent zones.

For me, it's a combination of this, and that about 1/2 of zones don't have volume controls that I also have a speaker selector. The speaker selector does the same thing, where no matter what zones are active, an 8-ohm load is delivered to the amplifier. Most of the time we use the system we want certain zones on... rarely do we have all zones on at the same time. Without the speaker selector we wouldn't be able to turn off the zones that don't have volume controls. Else, we'd have to go around to those that have VC's and turn them down/off.
Most of the volume controls are impedance matching, but if they are not, its an easy fix. They have the impedance matching volumes controls at Home Depot for maybe $20 each.

Here is a YouTube video on them... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouWlF1VEXGQ

Back