How do I ground cat 5 cables

jrfuda said:
Do you have other cameras outside? Even just house mounted? If so, you should use STP for all of them, so you'd go through that 500'-1000' roll pretty quick. Other noisy places like a garage (if you use lots of power tools) could benefit, and using it elsewhere does not hurt either.

Does the camera have a grounding screw terminal on it? My cameras (LTS, a Hikvision OEM) do. I make a jumper when I crimp the shielded connector onto the STP and connect it to the ground screw then ground the cable in a shielded patch panel (which is grounded to the house safety ground) and then run it through a surge protector via UTP (APC rack mount modular 24-device protector) that is also grounded before I run it to my switch with another piece of UTP. The Ubiquiti surge protector @duckhunter9300 mentioned can give you additional surge protection at the device as well and optionally let you ground it at the device end which may or may not be good to do if it's also grounded at the house end, but some devices (like Ubiquiti's outdoor APs) are supposed to be grounded at both ends.
STP is not really necessary in 99%  of the cases out there and creates other issues. If it was necessary, then why use TP anyways?

A case ground isn't necessarily intended for connection to the shield on the STP cables....it's a poor installation methodology 99% of the time out there. We've had plenty of large installs where we were forced to install our own ground rods just for this purpose.

Back