How do you automate with Tasker?

There is so much you can do with Tasker, too much to put in 1 post. Once I finished moving the portal data in the next few days, I plan on posting some Tasker articles with a focus on Home Automation.

Frunple said:
There is a learning curve for sure but once you learn his terminology it kinda comes together.
What would you like it to do? Probably easier to help you if we start there.
 No idea, did a blind buy based on a referral from a highly trusted friend. Posted some random thoughts on Google Plus, but trivial enough to not bother repeating here. I'm just doing research on why everyone seems to like Tasker so much.

It isn't a bad buy, so no worries about that. My most favorite use of Tasker is to allow my phone to go into night/day mode whenever we put the house day/night mode. This adjusts my screen settings, disables my phone lock, adjusts various ringer profiles and other fun stuff.

anyone using tasker scenes? Playing around, but would love to see what others have done.

Check it out! Tasker is MUCH more powerful than I realized, turns out you can have widgets directly call CQC tasks. I just set one up to directly tell CQC to turn on my entry lights.

Its obviously the "entry lights" light bulb. I can add more too, as desired.

gtagjX1.png

Sorry, misspoke above. Tasker Widgets directly call Tasker tasks. My tasker task then calls a CQC task, but yours could do whatever you want.

Just got into tasker myself. This thing is great. Got it working with my isy and Elve scenes. True 1 click execution from a droid widget is a beautiful thing.

meaning scenes within elve, or have you figured out tasker scenes? I'm still trying to get my mind around tasker scenes, hence the question.

Oh no just using tasker to trigger the scenes. Looks pretty powerful. It is doing what I want so, for now, I stopped looking into it. Is there something specific you wish to accomplish? Or just want to know overall all the things it can do?

just trying to understand what tasker scenes are, how most people use them (if they actually do, so far i haven't found anyone who actually uses them).

I use scenes, if I get motivated, I'll screen capture a few for you.  I generally use them to present choices.

For instance, in the car, I have a scene that I use.
-Put phone in car cradle
-nfc tag turns on Bluetooth, turns off WIFI
-Bluetooth connects to car's bluetooth

This triggers a Tasker event to open the scene.  The triggered event then waits for 10 seconds.  If the event's timer runs out, I run my default of "Mortplayer" to get music in the car.  If I push a button on the scene, the push stops the triggered event and executes the chosen program (sometimes I want to use BubbleUPnP for music (streamed from my house).  The coolest part of that scene is it has a toggle button.  Default the toggle is off.  Touch it and the toggle is on.  As part of loading whichever music service, it will load Torque, following if the Toggle is on/off (default is off).

I also have an event that triggers off of long holding the search button.  This loads the same event/scene

I also use them for things like a detailed weather display (sometimes during a storm, I like to look at the super fine details of weather information...typically not).

I also use one for my morning alarm.  Made the buttons so I really had to be awake to turn off the alarm.  I've contemplated adding into the script to make the button move around.  Right now it is just small.

When I was messing around with my phone's CPU more, I used a scene to choose settings for the CPU.  Overclocked, underclocked, type of clocking (aggressive, or more power economical).  I still use that here and there.  Mostly when the battery gets low and I know I can't get a charge for a bit.  I'll use that scene to program the phone for low performance to try to stretch the power use.

--Dan

My most used thing with Tasker right now (automation-wise) is my Zoom widget.  I use Homeseer.  Jon00 has created wonderful scripts that do amazing things.  One combination I use actually allows me to generate an informational png.  Has status of my most cared about things (lights, furnace, humidifier, etc.).  Also has a 5 day forecast a space for daily power use, and some other metrics I care about.

I click the Zoom widget, it tells Tasker to get a new image.  Which then triggers a webpage that causes Homeseer to generate the image.  To account for network lag, I have Tasker poll a webpage.  This page gives Tasker the status of the image generation (set by Homeseer as True when it is done making the new image).  When that is True, Tasker downloads the new image and updates the Zoom widget.  So right on my launcher I get updated and realtime information.  I did not do a status that is always tracking as I did not care.  I could have done that, but need to make push events etc.  I use that mostly for daily weather information.

--Dan

P.S. I really should post pics of all this

I tried using Tasker to perform an action if a certain email subject was received. Tasker does this via the K-9 email client, which I installed and configured.

The problem was, after the task triggered, the email client would stop refreshing, or checking for future emails.

Anyone else perform triggers with email messages?

I'm running an older Android Motorola Atrix phone with Android version 2.3.7 (unlocked bootloader with Cyanogen 7 operating system).

Right now I have 2 commonly used tasks: a) put phone into car mode when docked as measured by NFC and power supplied. That speaks my SMS messages, turns off WiFi, and starts up Amazon mp3 player. B) home screen widget to turn on entry lights.

But that scene thing sounds awesome as I occasionally don't want the amazon player. I'll look into that.

Back