How do you make a 1-gang into a 2-gang switch box?

If you're worried about hammering up your new wall with the sawzall, just take the blade out of a hacksaw and use it to cut the nails.

Same game plan as with the sawzall, just a little more slow and controller.

Start in the middle of the box with the blade andgled down and the teeth facing down to saw the lower nail and then flip the blade around and saw up from the middle to get the top.

I think you'll be ok with the sawzall unless you get crazy, crazy, crazy, but I've used a hacksaw blade when I just have one to do and son't want to break out the power saw. With a fresh hacksaw blade it only takes about 30 secs to cut both nails.

Let us know how you make out!

tomorrow morning is the slated time. I keep getting home too late to start, since it involves a) the kid's room, and :rolleyes: cutting the power until I'm done.

How are these nails used in the box?

In my home (late 60's construction), each box is fastened to the stud with two long nails. Each nail is about 3-1/2" long and runs horizontally through the box (i.e. from one sidewall to the other). Because the nails run right through the box, they reduce its depth by about 1/2". Is this how the single-gang boxes are installed in your home?

If they are, put the sawzall away! Get a pair of sturdy pliers, I used a Channel-Lock but a long-nose Vise-Grip would be better, and grip the nail's shaft. Move the pliers up and down causing the nail to rotate and loosen. While you're loosening the nail's grip on the stud, apply pressure on the plier's so as to pull on the nail. Basically you're twisting and pulling on the nail ... albeit from an awkward angle!

I've removed several single-gang boxes using this technique and I haven't damaged any drywall. I've replaced them with the current generation that are held in place using screws driven at an angle (i.e. through the sidewall that is against the stud). The extra half-inch of depth is appreciated when installing chunky PLC switches.

After extracting the nails, they'll fall out of the box and land on the horizontal firebreak inside the wall cavity. If you pound away on a keyboard all day, you can reach in with your dainty fingers and retrieve the nails ... if you sling coal for a living your meathooks won't fit so go find your better half. :rolleyes:

If you pound away on a keyboard all day, you can reach in with your dainty fingers and retrieve the nails ... if you sling coal for a living your meathooks won't fit so go find your better half.

Best quote I've heard in weeks! :rolleyes:

Well, the operation was a success!

I took the cover off, and used pre-sheetrock photos to make sure nothing was in the way and that the nails were standard (flush to the top and bottom of the box). Then I outlined the area to expand for the 2nd box, cut that away, and then used the pry-bar. Easy...like 20 seconds, if that. I took pictures to show how I did it, but it honestly was simple enough that I think text will convey it well.

I was originally going to use the pry bar just to move the box enough to use the hacksaw blade...but soon discovered that it was trivial just to remove it all the way. The harder part was removing it out of the hole, as the nails on top and bottom made it difficult to extract. I had to widen the hole on top and bottom and finally could wriggle it out. I checked to make sure the coverplate would still cover it, and it does.

Thanks for the help, guys!

When enlarging the hole, its no so much the cover plate to be concerned about. It's more important to make sure there is still enough meat for the wings on the old work box to grab on to properly.

True, very true. Except don't forget, this had to pass a wife inspection...so carving out the drywall beyond what the cover plate could cover would have for sure been a fail! :D

I just carved a bit off the top and bottom of the hole, and at those locations, the flange on the box was extra wide. The corners where the dog ears grip the drywall were untouched.

You'll risk less damage to the drywall if you use a sawzall to cut the nails that are securing the existing 1-gang box.

This is how I've always done it and the way I see electricians do it too.

Once the old box is loose, you will have to wrestle it to get away from the wiring.

I have does this many times. I have used a sawzall and a crowbar. By far the easiest way is with one of these:
206086_front500.jpg

Cut the hole for the 2 gang box then cut the nails. With the 2gang opening you will have plenty of room to get the wires out of the 1gang box.

Back