How To Calculate How Much Wire I Need For Pre-Wire

wkearney99 said:
 I'm saying for most residential situations it's not something that seems necessary.

That line could be used by my wife for probably 90% of everything HA related I've done in the past 10 years.

Conduit FTW, and I haven't even finished re-installing my Ek after tearing the wall down last Friday that it was on.

We had a break-in 10 houses away on Jul 2nd. Police came later but only stayed 15m as the bad guys were gone and they had another call.  Wife said something like "god our alarm isn't loud enough to really scare folks". I mentioned that I have a 120db Elk siren that I never installed, went to show her. She's not happy about a megaphone being mounted in the house, but when I said it was so loud thieves wouldn't be able to physically remain in the house without experiencing pain she acquiesced.

All I had to do was toss another cable down the conduit, bada bing its there.  Well, I still need another 3-4 hours to finish re-wiring the other stuff, but the walls are already up so there was no way I was going to cut into them just for one thing.

Or, as I have done, drill into the trim where I planned for an added camera or siren and fish out the preinstalled wire. That or use the attic-to-basement conduits, already installed and left empty.

Back