Premise How to play m4a files?

Motorola Premise

I downloaded and installed 3IVX's MPEG-4 decoder and Windows Media Player (WMA) can now play m4a files. I figured if WMA can play them, then Premise will be equally successful since it relies on the same DirectShow resources. I'm wrong because Premise just loads the track but does nothing with it.

If I point Premise at an entire album of songs (in m4a format) it just skips through each song without playing anything ... I guess it can't find what it needs to play the m4a format. Another possibility is that it is unable to retrieve the song's tag information so it skips it. Even with the 3IVX decoder, WMA is unable to display tag info (just song titles). Maybe all I need is some sort of WMA add-on that extracts tags from m4a files. Anyone know of such a utility?

Can anyone shed some light on this problem?

ADDENDUM:
I installed "Tag Support Plugin" for WMA and it adds artist, album, etc but I noticed that WMA still doesn't see track length. And it didn't help Premise.

Well, that's surely another way but not what I had in mind. Most of my music library is in m4a format (due to an iPod).

Well, that's surely another way but not what I had in mind. Most of my music library is in m4a format (due to an iPod).

I just found it easier to go that route as my iPod already knew how to play MP3 just like most other players.

This is similar to one of my complaints, that Premise doesn't support most modern internet radio streams. The core media player has limitations. I don't know much about how it's coded, but even though it uses DirectX, it doesn't use Media Player. So it doesn't support all of the formats.

Just another frustration of a long "dead" product.

I also use 3ivx. I am playing m4a thru Premise, however, I haven't quite figured out how to play them thru the browser (low on my list of things to figure out).
For me, I did these steps. Some I have found really don't need to be done, but I did them anyway.
Verified I can play m4a thru WMP (I use WMP11 on my WHS/2003/Premise Server). See 123's original post for those tidbits...(note, if you cant find the file type in WMP, then select *.* all file types)
Put the m4a file into my Music Content folder. Added m4a to the list of file extensions in the property field. (who knows, maybe a noobie will read this post...for you experienced guys...never mind)
I created a Mediatype in Premise called 'm4a'. I found that Premise will decree m4a to be an Audio Track, so prob didn't need to create that type.
I added a duration to the test song. I used a product called MusicBrainz. MusicBrainz to determine the proper durations. You can do that via Premise by selecting the duration property and filling out the pop-up box. However, it doesnt seem to need duration in order to play.
Now this is the part that seems to work for me...I did a few things together; this was the last one; I can't explain the why, unless maybe it uses an updated DirectSound?...I updated the driver for my SOUND card. Installed it, rebooted, and wallah, I'm playing m4a files thru Premise, using either the Legacy or DirectSound sources. Before I could see them, just not hear them. Now I can see AND hear them...sorta like Tommy.

If any of you bright guys can explain how/if the driver update did it, I'd like to know! (BTW, RealTek HD Audio)

Attachments

• m4a_2.jpg
    m4a_2.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 49
...I created a Mediatype in Premise called 'm4a'. I found that Premise will decree m4a to be an Audio Track, so prob didn't need to create that type.
...I updated the driver for my SOUND card. ... Now I can see AND hear them...sorta like Tommy.

Chuck,

Thanks for confirming that it is possible to play m4a files with Premise! I'm convinced Premise relies on the same DirectX resources used by WMA so, theoretically, if WMA can do it so can Premise. In practice, some other magic is needed because I have WMA playing m4a's but can't coax Premise to do the same.

Could you tell me how you created the m4a MediaType? I don't know if I need to perform this step because Premise currently sees m4a's as AudioTracks ... but I'd like to know how to do it.

Other than the MediaType and updated audio driver, I have everything as you've described and Premise refuses to play m4a's. ;) The updated audio driver may be the key ingredient.

FWIW
On my test server, the combination of ffdshow with Haali media splitter (instead of 3ivx's codec) also allows WMA to play m4a's ... but no joy for Premise.

I don't know if I need to perform this step because Premise currently sees m4a's as AudioTracks ... but I'd like to know how to do it.

Thats probably because .m4a has been adopted as the standard format for audiobooks. Then came the .m4b format which is audiobooks with bookmarking capabilities.

iPod plays mp3's just fine.

Chuck,
I think I now know what you meant by Media type. Premise's schema contains classes for each type of media it is aware of ... like "mp3", "ogg", "wma", "mp4", etc. Each of the audio-related classes inherits from the generic "AudioTrack" class.

By default, Premise doesn't have an "m4a" object so, when faced with m4a files, it simply picks the most generic audio-related class, namely "AudioTrack".

I'll add an "m4a" class and see what happens ...

ADDENDUM:
... well, not much happens is the answer. ;)

Success!

I installed the latest DirectX updates (9.0c), rebooted, and now Premise can play m4a files! ;)

Thanks for the lead about updated audio drivers, Chuck. My audio card doesn't have any new drivers but it got me to thinking about the age of my server's DirectX resources. Curiously, WindowsUpdate didn't indicate anything; I had to manually download the latest DirectX updates.

Attached is a screenscrape from my test server. Now to duplicate this good stuff on my production server ...

PS
Orban offers a free plugin that enables Windows Media Player to play AAC files (a.k.a m4a).

Attachments

• Premise_playing_m4a.JPG
    Premise_playing_m4a.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 30
Haha! Fabulous!

I have been having some problems with memory usage and prkernal resets. I wasn't sure if it was the m4a issue or not, so beware....I did, however, rethink some of my streaming and sharing configurations. There seems to be some conflicts with Windows Media Connect on WHS, prob my WMP11 configuration, then throwing TVersity and Premise on top of it...I really started focusing on that area, as even though my memory usage was high and the sound would stop, I could still control the media. Very bizarre. I thought maybe the driver update may have been a problem, so i added a Soundcard (which sounds better, anyway). Then I stopped all sharing and streaming services EXCEPT WHS/Premise and deleted my m4a files (I picked them up from my son's collection... and it was gosh-awful testing them, anyway!). I'll start to systematically start adding things back in, including some GOOD m4a files.

I'll report back with results while we wait for samgreco's retraction :huh:

Congrats!

Sam,
I haven't experimented with the InternetStream feature. Can you give me a few examples of what does and doesn't work?

How about putting a list of the ones you think need support for? Then maybe we can pick a few to try. (I don't really delve too much into that area, so its REALLY low on my list)

Didn't realize I was throwing down the gauntlet :huh:

On my way out the door, I'll get a list together when I get back later.

Back