HVAC - communicating zone controllers

mmontecalvo

Hello everyone. Let me start by saying I am a n00b when it comes to HVAC systems (didn't even know what a zone controller was before I bought this house). I'm looking for recommendations on a communicating zone controller (or maybe something else). What I've got right now is 2 a/c units - one for downstairs and one for upstairs. The downstairs unit is split into 3 zones - all living areas are on the first floor. The upstairs is just one big room and the second A/C unit is for up there. My zone controller died and the thermostats downstairs are all very cheap/crappy ones so they all really need to be replaced anyhow.

I'm using z-wave based controls, a global cache GC-100-18R for IR/relays/rs-232, and a custom software suite for the actual controller.

What I would like to do is have a zone controller that connects to my HA stuff and then just put in 3 dumb thermostats or just one dumb at the main zone and simple thermometers at the other zones. I would also like to replace the thermostat upstairs and make the two systems work together to keep both floors comfortable and fuel efficient. I can use my controller software to setup complex scripts if needed but would prefer it to be a little more automated from within.

Let me know what you guys think.

-Marc

RCS Communicating zone controller with dumb Wall Display Units is the way to go for the zoned system; then a standalone communicating RCS thermostat for upstairs. There are no thermostats that'll communicate with both floors as you'd like - you need to get creative with scripting.

There's lots of info around here on RCS - just search. I did a post just yesterday talking about the options and pros/cons.

Back