Intermediate Wiring Closets?

apu

When wiring a large computer network, we don't run every cable back to the same place -- to keep the runs short, to keep the number of cables manageable, etc. Similarly, electricians will break up large electrical installs into main panels and sub-panels.

Have you broken your home automation install(s) into distinct groupings? How so? Or why not?

I have sub panels in my addition for both LV and HV stuff, my biggest fear is that I didn't run enough wires between the main and sub panels.

When wiring a large computer network, we don't run every cable back to the same place -- to keep the runs short, to keep the number of cables manageable, etc. Similarly, electricians will break up large electrical installs into main panels and sub-panels.

Have you broken your home automation install(s) into distinct groupings? How so? Or why not?

I have been lucky that I haven't had to break mine up yet, but I am running low on conduit space in a couple of areas and may need to. My preference is to get it all terminated into a single room if possible. In a residential home, cable length is not usually an issue like it is when wiring a large computer network. A down side of using multiple panels is multiple terminations introduce more points of failure and room for error.

Back