IP Camera Options?

Software wise many folks utilize Blue Iris these days.  Personally here Linux / Zoneminder / Shinobi user.

You can do whatever these days relating to using local Raid for an NVR.  Here have switched over to using ZFS and SAS drives for NAS boxes.

Hikvision / Dahua cameras are popular these days and reasonably priced.  

Personally prefer that the direct camera connection do RTSP, ONVIF and able to do JPG and MJPG captures.  

Most if not all of the new cameras these days utilize MFG cloud apps. 

I personally am not using the MFG cloud apps here or purchasing any of the "el cheapo" cloud cameras that I see available on Amazon.

I have no dependencies on my cell phones here or cell phone apps and can get to my stuff independant of these apps.

My network is DIY'd a la carte not using / leasing any ISP equipment.

IE: PFSense dual WAN firewall, Arris Gb cable Modem, Managed Gb / POE switches, Ruckus WAPs.

Runny OpenVPN and IPSec VPN servers on my PFSense box.  You can get clients these days that run on any cell phone OS, tablet, laptop or desktop.

Once your VPN client is enabled you can see anything on your home network.  IE: automation servers, NVRs, cameras, et al.

Tinkering with Hikvision camera boards these days.  (they do all of the above plus facial recognition, sound et al) all on a 38mm (1.5") board with a lens on it.  

Recently installed a wireless Hikvision DB video camera.  First time using wireless and it works for me.

lifespeed said:
Also a doorbell model would be helpful as well.

For a doorbell model, check out DoorBird.  Not cheap but they easily integrate into Blue Iris since they are ONVIF compatible.  They are also POE capable.

lanbrown said:
For a doorbell model, check out DoorBird.  Not cheap but they easily integrate into Blue Iris since they are ONVIF compatible.  They are also POE capable.
I'm faced with a conundrum here.  Mounting the doorbell on the wall with the 24VAC doorbell wires provides a side view, which isn't ideal but will be supplemented by a "real" IP camera.  Mounting the doorbell facing the street, for a face-on view of the visitor requires mounting on the door side panels which aren't easily wired, so batteries and wifi.

So the 24VAC (or POE) location in the wall has compromised orientation, while the wifi NSC-DB2 implements a 5GHz wifi connection and batteries to allow for a wireless door side panel mount, facing the street and the visitor.  The wireless access point is less than 12' away through one wall, so this will work fine from a signal and data perspective.  Also this doorbell is ONVIF.

My doorbell wires ran up between the front door side panel (wood) and brick.  This worked well for the Ring doorbell and later for the NSC-DB2 (with Hikvision firmware).

The DB is mounted at an angle and the view works fine for me.

This is my first use of a wireless camera.  I configured it using 2.4Ghz as I could not configure it in 5.0Ghz mode.

Later changed it over to 5.0Ghz.  

pete_c said:
My doorbell wires ran up between the front door side panel (wood) and brick.  This worked well for the Ring doorbell and later for the NSC-DB2 (with Hikvision firmware).

The DB is mounted at an angle and the view works fine for me.

This is my first use of a wireless camera.  I configured it using 2.4Ghz as I could not configure it in 5.0Ghz mode.

Later changed it over to 5.0Ghz.  
Although I've already hard-wired everything in my home that isn't mobile, the doorbell camera may end up being an exception due to the specific challenges of wiring door panels.  Or running wires on the surface of exterior walls.

Why did you change to Hikvision firmware from the version that came with NSC-DB2?  Is Hikvision the OEM for this camera?  What have your experiences with this doorbell been like? It appears you use it on 24VAC doorbell power.

The doorbell wires here were wired into the side glass panel frame when the house was built.  That and the space between the wooden frame and brick makes for the angle mount of the doorbell.

Why did you change to Hikvision firmware from the version that came with NSC-DB2?

Thinking the original NSC-DB2 firmware did not come with ONVIF at the time.  

Is Hikvision the OEM for this camera?

Yes.  Now Hikvision is also selling the camera under their brand name.

What have your experiences with this doorbell been like? 

Good.  This doorbell replaced a Ring that was installed for about a month or so.

Here is an FAQ on the Doorbell.

Hikvision Doorbell 101

pete_c said:
The doorbell wires here were wired into the side glass panel frame when the house was built.  That and the space between the wooden frame and brick makes for the angle mount of the doorbell.

Why did you change to Hikvision firmware from the version that came with NSC-DB2?

Thinking the original NSC-DB2 firmware did not come with ONVIF at the time.  

Is Hikvision the OEM for this camera?

Yes.  Now Hikvision is also selling the camera under their brand name.

What have your experiences with this doorbell been like? 

Good.  This doorbell replaced a Ring that was installed for about a month or so.

Here is an FAQ on the Doorbell.

Hikvision Doorbell 101
Thanks for all the info.  Do these Hikvision doorbells only support RTSP streaming, not ONVIF?  From what I have read, RTSP streaming is scaled down and does not provide the full resolution of the camera like ONVIF does.

Do these Hikvision doorbells only support RTSP streaming, not ONVIF? 

Both RTSP and ONVIF at full resolution.  

lifespeed said:
Thanks for all the info.  Do these Hikvision doorbells only support RTSP streaming, not ONVIF?  From what I have read, RTSP streaming is scaled down and does not provide the full resolution of the camera like ONVIF does.

As already noted, RTSP and ONVIF will provide full resolution.  ONVIF can make setting up cameras marginally easier and can add a few features like on-camera motion detection, but the picture quality is the same.  ONVIF is certainly not a "must have" element.  Many times the off-camera motion detection solutions are better than on-camera anyway.  

That being said, there is at least one DB2 compatible firmware that provides ONVIF support.  (This camera is sold under a variety of different company labels and they all seem to have their own custom firmware.  These firmwares are generally interchangeable between the labels because the hardware is the same for all of them.  However you definitely need to do some due diligence before making firmware changes just to be sure).

I have a DB2 and my OEM firmware does not have ONVIF support.  Honestly I don't miss it.  It works just fine on my BlueIris system.  I haven't seen the need to change the firmware as I've taken the old approach of, "If it isn't broke, don't fix it".

PS - there are generally two RSTP streams for most cameras. You can pick a lower quality stream if needed, and/or the high quality stream as well. So far I have only used the higher quality stream for my system, but I know many people will record the lower quality stream 24/7 to keep the file sizes smaller and then switch to recording the full resolution stream on any motion triggers. This gives you a decent compromise for 24/7 recording/storage size requirements and capturing important events in full resolution. Honestly I will likely switch to this method as I add more cameras to my system.

I moved to BlueIris from zoneminder. For me it was an amazing jump. Blue iris took no time at all to set up and is much easier to manage. The added price is worth it in the end. 

That said, BI is a serious program and it will take time to learn to use properly. Same goes for picking cameras. You need to do your research and find what will work for you. With BI  you can almost use any camera. 

If you don't have the time or patience, an all in one system may be a better option.

Back