IP Camera Selector - but I need more choices.

Desert_AIP et al -
IP8362 vs IP8352 - you suggested the 8362 but the 8352 is possibly more capable? I notice it has gigabit ethernet and boasts strong night capability - not that you could even fully utilize the gigabit but it makes me think the cam is newer despite the lower model number..

Edit:
Ok I see that the difference is in resolution - plus I like the 8362 offers a focus assist -

What form factor camera do most folks use for residential, outdoor, property-perimeter applications? Bullet? Dome? Box? Do folks prefer overt (e.g. bullet) or covert (e.g. well hidden dome)?

Ecborgoyn - an answer to your questions plus more exisits in THIS THREAD

I like it also because the author shows some in-depth "take-aparts" and also wire runs, etc. MANY pictures for the novice.

I researched over 1000 IP cameras.. and bought some 3megapixel 1080p 1200p IP Security cameras.. for $120, see my posts and pics on this forum:
http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/18982-big-home-automation-project-2011/page__view__findpost__p__172395

Desert_AIP et al - IP8362 vs IP8352 - you suggested the 8362 but the 8352 is possibly more capable? I notice it has gigabit ethernet and boasts strong night capability - not that you could even fully utilize the gigabit but it makes me think the
cam is newer despite the lower model number.. Edit: Ok I see that the difference is in resolution - plus I like the 8362 offers a focus assist -

The 8362 has more RAM and higher resolution and WDR for betterimages.
If you want to use PoE then Gigabit doesn't matter.
PoE uses the extra pairs that gigabit does, so if PoE is active the switch automatically deselects gigbit to megabit.

The 8352 is geared toward night perfomance.

I researched over 1000 IP cameras.. and bought some 3megapixel 1080p 1200p IP Security cameras.. for $120, see my posts and pics on this forum:
http://cocoontech.co...post__p__172395

Those are similar to the new Ubiquiti cameras.

Need to be careful when weighing your options.
Those are fixed focus cameras.
Single stream.
Wifi will probably need it's own network if you have more than a couple of cameras, and the frame rates are low.
You'll need a NVR or computer running to view and capture the video streams too.
I don't see a link on the site to the super detailed spec sheets for those cameras.

The more features you put on a camera, the more the price rises (obviously).
But you gain a lot of flexibility.
Pulling processing off of the network will save a lot of bandwidth.

For instance, the Vivoteks i talked about do motion detection and e-mail at the camera itself. If it detects motion it will send e-mail with text, vids or snap shots directly from the camera, no NVR or software needed.

Multi-streams allow you to view a low res image, which is fast on something like a 5.7e touch screen, while simultaneously recording a full resolution stream to disk.
You can also use multiple streams from a high res camera as separate camears, focusing their view windows on different portions of the overall camera frame.

Recording is essential to security.

Weather perfomance is something to think about too.
How cold does it get where you live?
Is it humid?
Either one and you'll need fans and heaters, or a sealed housing with dessicant inside.

Think of your CCTV system holistically.

just look on the website, I posted the links.. that IS a link to the specs.. I am not going to start posting specs, when I already linked to them via the manufacturer website. There is plenty of resellers in all countries if you want to demo some.

I have 6 of them.. quality is really awesome, I'm running them on cat5 cable. its still acceptable at a few frames per second with 6 cameras on wifi, although cat5 is always going to be better (25-30fps) and I would always wire CCTV using ethernet cat6, and then just some 4core security wire for some 12volt power from a transformer in the switchboard for all the cameras. the web based internal software has motion detection and emails me, and records snippets to a samba folder. All the while I just have a secugard software running on my HTPC. and it records all channels just fine.

one person above talked about single focus.. thats not true, I noticed that it auto focuses itself for light and distance, just like an iphone does.

one person above talked about quality vs. price.. so you're saying you would rather pay $500 for a 4GB sdcard because that was the price last year, just because its more expensive than the $20 4GB Kingston ones now.

If you want a demo, just PM me, and I'll let you connect to my PC via teamviewer to check them out.. That is if you don't think teamviewer is too cheap.. (free)

NewZealandHome, I tried following the posted links and did not find the detailed specifications. This is why I asked for the correct links.

As the OP of this thread seeking assistance, Please "Show me the specs" to help me make an informed decision.

Thanks!

just look on the website, I posted the links.. that IS a link to the specs.. I am not going to start posting specs, when I already linked to them via the manufacturer website. There is plenty of resellers in all countries if you want to demo some.

I have 6 of them.. quality is really awesome, I'm running them on cat5 cable. its still acceptable at a few frames per second with 6 cameras on wifi, although cat5 is always going to be better (25-30fps) and I would always wire CCTV using ethernet cat6, and then just some 4core security wire for some 12volt power from a transformer in the switchboard for all the cameras. the web based internal software has motion detection and emails me, and records snippets to a samba folder. All the while I just have a secugard software running on my HTPC. and it records all channels just fine.

one person above talked about single focus.. thats not true, I noticed that it auto focuses itself for light and distance, just like an iphone does.

one person above talked about quality vs. price.. so you're saying you would rather pay $500 for a 4GB sdcard because that was the price last year, just because its more expensive than the $20 4GB Kingston ones now.

If you want a demo, just PM me, and I'll let you connect to my PC via teamviewer to check them out.. That is if you don't think teamviewer is too cheap.. (free)

OK - my apologies. I was able to find "specs" for these cameras. They were not in any format I could copy.

For reference, see below specification for your cameras.

Attachments

• spec-1.PNG
    spec-1.PNG
    26.6 KB · Views: 6
  • spec-2.PNG
    spec-2.PNG
    27.1 KB · Views: 5
This is what I mean by detailed specs.

What are the focal lengths of the lenses?
What are their fields of View?
What are all the framerate/resolution options?
What are the low light capabilities (LUX)?
Is there a day/night cut filter?
How many streams simultaneously?
How much RAM onboard? What processor?
How big is the buffer for events?
Is it a web based interface or is software required?
Is software required to record the stream(s)?
Is the motion detection at the camera or via software?
What are the temperature operating limits?
Is there internal heat or a fan or both?
Are they PoE?
What are the power draws?
Do they have WDR?
Do they support onboard storage?
E-mail or event based recording? Does this require software?

Those specs on the website are the advertising specs.
Is there a link to the manuals?

Those specs on the website are the advertising specs.
I realize that, Desert_AIP. I was merely showing what specs could be found. Yup - those were it.

Back to the VivoTek tho - quite impressive spec and ability - talked myself into it. I ordered an 8362.

Monk,

I just wrote to Save It Micro relating to purchasing their outdoor HD camera and PT camera. These are replacing an outdoor analogue 600 TVL 3.6mm camera and the Foscam PT camera in the garage.

This morning I purchased the new Ubiquiti airVision outdoor cam for $104 to see how it works.

Thinking now of switching all of my analog outdoor cameras (8) to IP as I am currently already using Cat5E balums for my outdoor cameras.

The currently tested HD camera is a bit to large for mounting under my eave to be a weather cam; so will most likely use the Ubiquti as a weather camera.

That said I have had no issues doing Zoneminder captures of the current "being tested" outdoor HD camera so far.

Back