Is there something wrong with my M1?

RAL said:
If you have only 4-wire cable to the old existing keypad locations, then you should not be plugging those into a DBH.  That's where you need to be using a DBHR.

There should not be more than 2 terminators on a data bus.  If you use a DBHR, that creates multiple data buses, and then each bus from the DBHR should also have 2 terminators. 

Thanks RAL.  I think our posts crossed - see my one above.  I see now that my initial install was incorrect.  I've ordered a DBHR to make this right and will redo all my lines ensuring proper termination.

You and DEL have been very helpful.  Thanks very much!

I doubt you would need three Elk RF2EG receivers. One of the benefits of the GE transmitters is they have good TX/RX distance as compared the Elk two-way transmitters. I was able to walk over 150 feet with GE transmitter using a walk test. You can test your current window sensors using the ping/signal strength walk test as described in the manual.

My layout is a little bit unique so I figured for the couple of hundred bucks I'd rather be safe than sorry.

The house is all hard-wired so it's not an issue.  But the house is elevated from the yard by about 40 feet and extends from the house out about 300 feet to a lake.  I lose my line of sight to one of the receivers because of this.  I currently have one RF2G in a dock on the lake and another in a utility building in the yard about 300 feet back from the lake.  That seems to work fine and I even get reception up at the house.  But I'd like to put in a vehicle sensor a couple of hundred feet down the driveway which would separate that sensor from the nearest receiver by about 500ft minimum.  I figured I'd put an RFEG in the garage within a hundred or so feet of the new sensor - line-of-sight - and that would ensure it and my keyfobs would be reliable.

mark

Okee doke.  So some new parts showed up today and I'm back at it.  I still have a problem from before, though, and I was hoping to clear it up.

I've removed my DBH and replaced it with a DBHR.  I've also added an RB to control my garage door and fireplace.

I'm wired as follows

DBHR to System board.  
System board JP3 jumpered
DBHR JP1 jumpered

2 home runs connected to DBHR line 1
Home run #1 goes straight to a KPAS which is jumper terminated
Home run #2 goes to a M1IN expander and then continues on to an M1KPAS keypad.  The KPAS is jumper terminated
I have removed JP2 on the DBHR - JP3, JP4, JP5 are all still present

It works perfectly with one exception.

When I go into RP I can't do an  enrol/update - it tells me one or more areas are armed.  But they're not armed.  I can do a bus module enrolment from my KPAS - no trouble - but I can't do it from Elk.

So - 2 questions.  

First - any thoughts on why I can't enrol from RP?
Second - when I do the bus module enrolment I don't see the DBHR or the RB as devices.  I didn't expect to see the RB as it's not on the bus but I had expected to see the DBHR.

Thanks much,

Mark

[edit]
I have upgraded my firmware.  I'm currently at
HW 0.13
Boot 3.3.6
Firmware 5.3.10
Voice list 0.8

MarkJames said:
First - any thoughts on why I can't enrol from RP?

Second - when I do the bus module enrolment I don't see the DBHR or the RB as devices.  I didn't expect to see the RB as it's not on the bus but I had expected to see the DBHR.
1.  Not sure why you are having this problem.  I'm thinking it is a software problem, rather than a real problem in the hardware.

2. The DBHR isn't visible as a device on the data bus, the way a keypad or input expander is.   The DBHR has no address, and acts as a transparent splitter to create multiple branches of the data bus.

Thanks RAL.

I cleared all the globals from my keypad and then reupped my account from RP.  That cleared the issue with it thinking an area was armed and now I can enrol from RP again.  Not sure what's up there but at least there's an easy solution.

Did it look to you like my termination was correct?  From the DBHR manual it looks like what I'm shooting for is the jumper for the branch to be ON the DBHR if there's only 1 home run on the branch.  If there are two home runs and therefore already two terminators then the terminator on the jumper for that branch on the DBHR gets removed.

Mark

MarkJames said:
Thanks RAL.

I cleared all the globals from my keypad and then reupped my account from RP.  That cleared the issue with it thinking an area was armed and now I can enrol from RP again.  Not sure what's up there but at least there's an easy solution.

Did it look to you like my termination was correct?  From the DBHR manual it looks like what I'm shooting for is the jumper for the branch to be ON the DBHR if there's only 1 home run on the branch.  If there are two home runs and therefore already two terminators then the terminator on the jumper for that branch on the DBHR gets removed.

Mark

Yes, it sounds like you've got the termination right.

Well, I found the reason why I couldn't enrol.  This may be something for Elk to take a look at, though it's admittedly obscure.

My home automation controller is an ISY.  I have it arming all areas at night.  While rebuilding my system I ditched all areas but house and garage cutting my areas down to 2.  I created a new RP account with only 2 areas defined - this is reflected in the system as there are no conflicts.The ISY, however,  was still sending the arm command to areas 3 through 8 every night not knowing they weren't there anymore.  The Elk was arming (or at least recording them as armed) those areas even though they weren't defined.

I went into ISY and disarmed all the non-existent areas from there and the Elk enrol works again.

Glad to have solved that!

Well, the DBHR is installed now and all terminations have been verified, the two MRF2G's have been replaced with MRFEG's and a third MRFEG  added.  The longest run down into my yard has had a P112 power supply with battery backup installed on it to deal with any potential voltage drop problems.

It seems that everything is working properly now!  The 'transmitter supervision loss' problems have gone away, the 'transmitter low battery' problems have gone away.  

Thanks to all who helped out with this.  Much appreciated!

mark

PS is there any market for these MRF2G's?  or are they now useless?

MarkJames said:
Well, the DBHR is installed now and all terminations have been verified, the two MRF2G's have been replaced with MRFEG's and a third MRFEG  added.  The longest run down into my yard has had a P112 power supply with battery backup installed on it to deal with any potential voltage drop problems.

It seems that everything is working properly now!  The 'transmitter supervision loss' problems have gone away, the 'transmitter low battery' problems have gone away.  

Thanks to all who helped out with this.  Much appreciated!

mark

PS is there any market for these MRF2G's?  or are they now useless?

It's good to hear that things are working better!  Tracking down the cause of these sorts of problem can be frustrating.

You may be able to find a buyer for the XRF2Gs on eBay.  I see them there from time to time.

Back