Kwikset deadbolt experiences

My lock(s) automatically report status - whether the deadbolt is activated manually, electronically via keypad, or via Zwave command.

Having said that, I only poll my Zwave network once a day. I usually go 3-6 months before chaning the batteries; although I try not to wait on them to die [or report low battery status] before I change them.

I have three of the Zigbee version for about two years now, and they work great. I'd say batteries (Costco Alkaline) last about 8 or 9 months. I may have them auto lock or unlock maybe once a week tops. They unlock or lock within 5 seconds of getting the command. I receive the lock or unlock status of the locks on my HAI panel within maybe 10 seconds of the lock/unlock occurring.

I use lithiums as well.   All of my locks have the newer blue colored zwave card.   One came with it, the others were "add ons" from ebay.   I also had notification issues depending on the order I insert the zwave card and batteries.  The behavior is the same for all of my locks.

1.) If zwave card is inserted before the batteries I can't add codes via the keypad and the keypad would not operate without codes entered (no beeps, etc).  I would, however, get notifications.  I ended up adding my codes via the ISY interface once they added that feature and now all is working.

2.) If batteries are inserted before the zwave card, the lock would retain any codes that were added manually before the card, but no notifications of status, battery life, etc were sent to the ISY.  So I had a functioning lock with no notifications.

So it seems there are at least two versions of the zwave modules out there maybe more.  And the behavior is very dependent on which one you have (kwikset's testing leaves a lot to be desired).

Back