Leviton 21" Structred Media Cabinet - how to connect

DELInstallations said:
Radio Shack, though it'd be a few trips into the drawer with their "assistants" they do have standoffs, metal and nylon last I looked.

Velcro tends to not stand up over time, the heat inside the enclosures do it in. The double stick pads, like Elk makes work very well. The largest item to consider is spacing the boards away from the enclosure/backplate to avoid shorts.

Hey DEL when was the last time you tried to go to a Radio Shack store?

mikefamig said:
Hey DEL when was the last time you tried to go to a Radio Shack store?
I ran into that issue today......I needed some audio adapters for a job, essentially we have a room with mirrored workstations and 4 PC's each and have the PC speakers replaced by overhead 70V units with amps. Presently they've only got a single PC hooked up to the speakers, I'm adding an audio mixer and cables from the workstations to have the windows sounds overhead but not easily modified by the end users.

Needed a 3.5mm stereo splitter and nowhere in state had one.....Ebay or Amazon it is.

DELInstallations said:
I ran into that issue today......I needed some audio adapters for a job, essentially we have a room with mirrored workstations and 4 PC's each and have the PC speakers replaced by overhead 70V units with amps. Presently they've only got a single PC hooked up to the speakers, I'm adding an audio mixer and cables from the workstations to have the windows sounds overhead but not easily modified by the end users.

Why?  Seems like that'd get annoying, fast.

Here (internet / mail order) been using all electronics for cables and such for a few years now (before RS closed). 

Walk in electronic parts are still available at Fry's.  

DELInstallations said:

Needed a 3.5mm stereo splitter and nowhere in state had one.....Ebay or Amazon it is.

We have this place in Newington CT if you are in that area of the state

http://www.cablesandconnectors.com/index.html

mikefamig said:
We have this place in Newington CT if you are in that area of the state

http://www.cablesandconnectors.com/index.html
Very familiar with them....both myself and coworkers. Downside is cost and in our case, we have the possibility to have any variation under the sun in the field. Think a coworker went for a DB25 LPT cable or adapter, ended up spending $50. Same for a USB to serial.

I ended up buying a case of Gefen extenders and the first 3 worked very well. Only bad part is both sides require power and a cable. Part of the beauty of the Tripplite ones I picked up was single sided and only 1 cable needed as the receiver had a whip on it, and powered via USB at the far end. They didn't work, as did some other ones we bought prior.....

DELInstallations said:
Very familiar with them....both myself and coworkers. Downside is cost and in our case, we have the possibility to have any variation under the sun in the field. Think a coworker went for a DB25 LPT cable or adapter, ended up spending $50. Same for a USB to serial.

I ended up buying a case of Gefen extenders and the first 3 worked very well. Only bad part is both sides require power and a cable. Part of the beauty of the Tripplite ones I picked up was single sided and only 1 cable needed as the receiver had a whip on it, and powered via USB at the far end. They didn't work, as did some other ones we bought prior.....

Speaking of extenders, are you familiar with Cables to Go Rapid-run? I have an hdmi cable here that is about 50' long with one powered signal booster on the receiving end that has been working well for years.

I've seen them. Don't really have a pro/con thought on them besides the cost and you're stuck with the single manufacturer's devices. That said, I can see the appeal for a HO to get these put in, but in my everyday life, the short distances they can really be used don't help me. The ones I'm using now are good for 60m, which is already 2/3 the maximum allowable on a horizontal run from a closet. The other item I run into that HO's dont is that my infrastructure is generally a CatX cable between A and B and should have a defined length.

Actually, I just went through my emails, they're Aten, they're really built well. My bad

I don't think that many hdmi cables were capable of 60 meter lengths or even close to 100' when I installed the C2G.

wkearney99 said:
Why?  Seems like that'd get annoying, fast.
Ever deal with a security dispatch center or police operations center? Human nature, especially on a busy site that has alarms that come into multiple PC's and systems. Chief complaint is the sounds are "annoying"

When the end users start missing alarms, saying they didn't hear them, etc......and auditing the systems prove the alarm came in and how long it was active, you have to start looking for ways to prevent people from unplugging audio, turning volume down or muting the sounds. Same reason why the PC's are in an access controlled data closet. Easy enough to audit who and when.

mikefamig said:
I don't understand the Aten comment. What is Aten?
Aten is the manufacturer.

As far as HDMI, it comes down to whether or not the unit is a balun or not and what it actually does. A lot of what's out there are just baluns to convert to another cable or media. Whether or not the units convert the data to pass down another cable is another item. The biggest issues most have with converting passively is the timing and twists when using UTP cables.

Back