Leviton Power Supply in Channel Vision Can

Most UPS' I've seen and used have SLA's....unless you start getting into the large ones, but even commercial fire alarms with 100 aH batteries are SLA.

Some are starting to use Lithium Ion batteries. Bit of a price premium though, but gaining a smaller footprint. Not sure I'm willing to shell out $300 when the equivalnet gel cell unit is $100' or thereabouts.

Neurorad said:
I have a single gang Leviton surge-protected outlet in my CV enclosure.  I used a 'power extender' so the outlet is connected to my rack UPS.

I use a CV power strip mounted near the bottom of the enclosure.

C-0702.jpg

Not a very good solution - this outlet strip wasn't designed for wall warts; fits 3.  4th outlet is the other outlet in the Leviton duplex at the bottom.

This is for network, not alarm.

They also make this strip with the outlets turned the other way...

http://www.channelvision.com/product-category/structured-wiring/fiber-optics-power-distribution/

wkearney99 said:
Some are starting to use Lithium Ion batteries. Bit of a price premium though, but gaining a smaller footprint. Not sure I'm willing to shell out $300 when the equivalnet gel cell unit is $100' or thereabouts.
C'mon. What's another $200?

I'd be interested to see the life expectancy on the lithium pack.

gatchel said:
C'mon. What's another $200?  I'd be interested to see the life expectancy on the lithium pack.

Heh, death of a thousand cuts comes to mind.  A few hundred here, a few hundred there.... ONE WTF CONVERSATION WITH THE WIFE WHEN THE VISA BILL COMES THROUGH...  

I likewise don't feel like being a guinea pig for the battery packs.  They're all crap but at least the gel cel ones are cheap and easy to come by.

Given the price of some structured media box modules, even if those strips suck, the mounting plate it'd almost be worth it for something else.

Think I got 3 alarm transformers in the first one I got to use in the can. The rest have baby warts or line cords.

I have two of the power strips inside of the Leviton 42" can.  One alarm transformer on the bottom of the can.

Originally went with all Leviton such that I have two 24 port Leviton patch panels; one being utilized for network and the other for 1-wire devices.  I did also keep the leviton telco patch panel in place.  I have long since exceeded the total network port capacity such that I keep the one 24 port switch in the can and went to external patch panels mounted on wood on side of Leviton can.

Power strips with extensions only supply power to my 1-wire devices (Temp08's), Leviton 12VDC power supply, two Ubiquiti POE devices, two way2call boxes and two netcid boxes and one 24 port switch.

Based on your posts here / OP I may go to the combo Leviton PS mentioned above and one power strip reducing the footprint a bit.

Personally I made full use of the can but exceeded its capacity a long time ago.  IE: Cat5e => 24 NIC ports, 24 1-wire ports and whatever for telco.

Looking at the area I could have fit three 42" Leviton cans plus still had the HAI can in place.  Instead just went to using the plywood boards adjacent to the 42" can. It is easier a bit and its a more open area which eventually will be in a utility room with a door.

Back