Premise LightLevel and Preset Dim Level - UPB - Not working?

Motorola Premise

mjpcomp

I'm trying to make it so that during certain hours in the day (e.g. late nights), the lights in some areas will only come on to "X" percent (unless double-tapped)... I've tried using the "LightLevel" or "Preset Dim Level" properties just to test, but the lights come on full..

I can do this using Links and whatnot via UPStart, but one would think that Premise should be able to handle that without an issue... This problem has been bugging me for over a year and a half to try and figure out a way within Premise, but I haven't really come up with something that works...

Anyone have a solution, or know what the LightLevel/Preset Dim Level properties do, since they don't appear to affect anything...

Thanks for the help!

I dont use premise so this is just a guess but...

the switches have this info programmed in. so in any ha app youd need the switch to interact with a virtual link(one that doesnt control the light directly) and have the app react and respond depending on time if day ect accordingly

Are you saying you want the lights to come on full then dim or go straight to dim?

Depending on the types of light modules (I don't use UPB), you could have the lights come on to a specific value. However, not all controllers and lighting systems allow for this (e.g. the non-enhanced X10 lighting modules that do not offer a preset dim function).

However, you should always be able to have the lights come full on, then dim to specific value.

Here's a few ways to do what you are trying to do:
PresetDim - Use this property to set the preset dim level of the dimmer. This brightness value is used when turning the dimmer on and off (not dimming/brightening though). So, to use preset dim, set preset dim to a percent value, then toggle the power state. However, remember, not all dimmers will support preset dim.

Brightness - Use this property to dim or brighten the light. Depending on the driver and lighting technology used, changing the brightness property could turn the light on to x percent (if the module supports this) all with one line of code (e.g. home.room.light.brightness = .5 could turn the light on and set the brightness to .5). The Z-Wave driver works like this.

However, depending on the UPB dimmers you are using and how the UPB module is coded, you may need to turn the light on first using the PowerState property, then set the brightness (e.g. home.room.light.powerstate = true:home.room.light.brightness = .5). If this simple method doesn't work, I would suggest trying to change the brightness manually using Premise Builder and making sure everything responds correctly. This latter method should always work if the lights are dimmable, but it will result in the lights going to full brightness (or the preset dim value if supported) then to the specified value.

It sounds like you've used Premise for a long time, but it's worth pointing out that the Brightness and PresetDim both use the percent property. You should also access these properties using their bound home objects versus accessing the device objects directly. This will save you from modifying your code if you switch lighting technologies etc...

The Premise help file gives this example:
Percent Property Type
Type for representing values that span a range from 0 to 100%

Setting precent value in Scripts:
Code:
'Using numerical input.
this.Brightness = .3

'Using string input.
this.Brightness = "30"

'Using string input.
this.Brightness = ".3"

Back