M1EXP - DHCP not working?

jruben4

Hi -

Does anyone have the M1EXP actually contacting a local DNS server and getting an IP address/DNS name server correctly? Mine appears to only work in static IP mode. When I tell it to try to contact the DNS server, it says it got an invalid response or no server was found. I have plenty of other machines on the same LAN getting address from my DNS server (router) so I know it's working fine. Is this broken on the M1EXP? I have the most current firmware (3.28 I think).

Thanks...

I'll assume that you are talking about DHCP...There is a way to get the M1EXP to select between DHCP and a default static IP address.
Check page 25 of the current manual. Maybe it's stuck in the static IP mode.

Yes, DHCP. I initially had it using a static IP address. Now I've selected the top option for it to go to a DHCP server to get it's IP address (as well as for a DNS server). It is still using the old static IP however, which I think is the fallback if it can't contact the DHCP server. When I hit the button for a manual contacting of the DHCP it gives the error message. I'm sure my router would give an address if appropriately contacted, it works for all my other devices. That's why I was wondering if there is a known issue with this.

I'm asking more out of curiosity, but why would you want to do this? If for some reason you do want the DHCP route, does your router have an option to reserve a DHCP address based on a MAC ID?

I have used my dhcp server running on Linux to feed the address to my M1XEP in the past with success. My DHCP server actually knows all the MAC addresses for my network and feeds static addresses out, so it's still nailed down to a specific IP.

Chris

Right, I can still assign a "static" IP, but it would be controlled by my DHCP server not the M1XEP. This is better for housekeeping. Also, it will automatically update the DNS server this way, if it was to be changed by my provider.

Back