M1G - ready to buy.. but first a question

shtojo

I'm ready to place an order from AO for an M1G... I see they have a ELK-128301I (insteon kit) that listed as the M1GSYS4S kit plus the serial expander and insteon powerlinc... Looks like almost too good of a deal since the powerlinc and serial expander (I think it is the M1XSP which also gives me thermostat control?) are $150 if purchased separately... but this kit is only $5 more than the SYS4Skit. Just doing a sanity check to make sure I am not missing something. Also, I see in the photos of the KP2 panel on the AO site, it has gray surrounding the display, and some photos it is white surround. I am ordering another KP2 and want to make sure they are both the same (prefer the all-white). Any insights?

I cannot speak for AO about pricing and I don't know about KP2 (I thought they were all the same color). If you are just starting with Insteon, I would suggest also considering the ISY to make link management easier. I would also suggest trying to get the package from AO with an Insteon PLM (2412S) instead of the older Insteon PLC (2414S) Insteon interface. If you add an ISY in the future, it requires a PLM, so you could just move that from the Elk to the ISY. Then you could also move the XSP from controlling the PLM to controlling your thermostat. Yes, the XSP adds a serial inteface for connecting to many devices, but you generally need one XSP for each device.

Like WW said, I also strongly recommend an ISY/2412S to go with insteon control. Be sure to
buy a few more Acess points, depending on the size of your house and quality of connections.
You should also consider getting the M1XEP ethernet interface to be in sync with ISY/2412S for better control.

Originally, I made the same mistake in getting a M1XSP and eventually just purchased another ISY/2412S
to control insteon devices. My M1XSP is not doing anything, but sitting in my basement now.

I cannot speak for AO about pricing and I don't know about KP2 (I thought they were all the same color). If you are just starting with Insteon, I would suggest also considering the ISY to make link management easier. I would also suggest trying to get the package from AO with an Insteon PLM (2412S) instead of the older Insteon PLC (2414S) Insteon interface. If you add an ISY in the future, it requires a PLM, so you could just move that from the Elk to the ISY. Then you could also move the XSP from controlling the PLM to controlling your thermostat. Yes, the XSP adds a serial inteface for connecting to many devices, but you generally need one XSP for each device.

All of the KP2's are exactly the same. Sometimes the photo's provided from the mfg are a little off.

The KP2 has a "bright" white plastic where the original KP is a little off white.

My personnel opinion is that you may want to consider the big picture of using the ELK-M1XEP and the ISY for much more flexibility and control of Insteon.

It all depends on what you want to do in the end.

This is the package probably you should consider with ISY + Elk M1G

SH ELK package

SH is having a 17% off everything till tomorrow (March 4). Better to get them soon if you are
buying in any case.

SH ELK package

SH is having a 17% off everything till tomorrow (March 4). Better to get them soon if you are
buying in any case.

I agree that is the best package if you are going to use Insteon. The sale price is a good price. The regular price is a little high but not to bad.

SH ELK package

buying in any case.
AO will probably match the price. The bucks don't matter as much as establishing a relationship that you can depend on.

Thanks folks for the input... regarding insteon, I did not intend to imply that I was going with insteon, I may, but was just thinking about that package to pick up the serial control and could use it for thermostat control if not for insteon... I only have one insteon switch currently, and some x10 stuff, but thinking about zwave and upb as options. I know there is lots of info on this site regarding those technologies and don't want to start a debate in this thread, so I'll continue to read. Would like to get the basics set-up first. I saw the 17% SH discount as well today, maybe I'll call AO tomorrow and try for that discount on the M1GSYS4S package. Thanks, it's so nice of you all to help.

Hi Martin,
Thanks for your reply.

I want you to be aware that UPS charges over $50 (for a
$50 item) on top just to clear
the custom while USPS priority charges only $5.
Most people in Canada (who knows this) tries to avoid UPS.
SH offers USPS priority and that makes a huge difference. :)

Normally we ship UPS to Canada.

Back