Premise Making Builder work with Windows 10

Motorola Premise

georgejm

So, I took the plunge and loaded Windows 10 last night.  FYI, works great as a desktop OS, I'm not quite there yet as a tablet OS.  I thought 8.1 was better as a tablet OS.  Anyway, Builder started fine, but it wouldn't connect to my production Premise Server.  It went through the motions, even detecting the version of Premise, but it just sat there without throwing any errors.  It did connect just fine to my development Premise server. 

The event log was showing SCHANNEL errors that were coincident with attempts to connect to my primary server, but they weren't there when connecting to my dev system.  After some digging, it turns out there is an incompatibility between Windows 10 SSL and Premise.  Disabling SSL on the Premise server cleared the issue, but that does obviously make things less secure. 

I'm going to dig into it further when I get some more time.   I suspect an SSL version mismatch or something like that.  Hopefully, there's a config somewhere that will let Builder and Server communicate via SSL when Windows 10 is in the mix.

I am trying to get Premise 2.1 (downloaded from this forum) also running on Windows 10.  UAC disabled.  Compatibility set to XP.  Run setup as administrator.  Install completes without intervention.  But Builder doesn't locate the local computer (Premise Server installed on same computer) and when you try to restore or backup to client the error is "Exporting, saving, and backups has been disable because the product activation time limit has expired."

Have you been able to solve the problem with Windows 10?

I changed the compatibility of Builder (Sys) to XP Service Pack 2 and checked Run as Administrator.  That fixed the issue.  I also made these changes to Prkernal and Psmonitor. 

Back