Media cabinet power

tshephard

I just finished wiring my two 42" media cabinets, one for phone/data/tv, and the other for automation controller/alarm/IR. Now I am moving them both 20' to the other side of the garage. But thats another story :nutz:

One thing I did with the original installations is use two power strips, one for each. The strips have six outlets arranged three on either side that lets the larger transformers plug in without blocking the other outlets. Kinda nice, but in the end kinda big and heat generating.

Now, I'm thinking maybe a all new media cabinet just for power. I don't know. What do you guys do?

I just finished wiring my two 42" media cabinets, one for phone/data/tv, and the other for automation controller/alarm/IR. Now I am moving them both 20' to the other side of the garage. But thats another story ;)

One thing I did with the original installations is use two power strips, one for each. The strips have six outlets arranged three on either side that lets the larger transformers plug in without blocking the other outlets. Kinda nice, but in the end kinda big and heat generating.

Now, I'm thinking maybe a all new media cabinet just for power. I don't know. What do you guys do?

I have a 12 Volt power supply (in it's own metal box) that powers up all 12 v DC stuff. This minimizes lots of wall warts.
I also have a large power strip (home depot) that's like 6 foot long that connects lots of other non critical 110 volt stuff.

Some of the rest of wall warts are plugged into special wall wart spaced power strips. Some of these strips are plugged into UPSs.

I have a large rack mount suppresor / filter for all the video / audio devices for the Theater Room.

The rest are fed by UPSs for the critical components (like HA server, etc).

All are backed up by a 15kv automatic transfer generator.

Thanks.

I ended up buying a third cabinet which I placed in the center. I will use that one for the transformers and fan out to the other cabinets from there.

-Tim

Currently I only know of a 12VDC version, but the IEC plug on it (accessory cord here) can be used to power a separate power supply if needed. According to the tech sheet it is capable of putting out 40 watts / 3.3 amps max.

ibcGetAttachment_1.jsp.jpg

There is also a single gang module for those with a Channel Vision can. It is only rated for 10 watts, but it can be used to replace a number of wall warts!!

ibcGetAttachment.jsp.jpg

A friend of mine went with din rail power supplies. These are pretty compact and can be purchased in numerous voltage ranges.

I simply went with a third media cabinet and put power strips in it. Its mounted in the center of the other two cabinets and the transformers have reached fine so far.

I only have one 42" media cabinet. The "main" power supply for the cabinet is the "built in" Leviton one at the base. From the base I installed one power strip near the top. For 12VDC I use a similar one to the above mentioned. Its an earlier version with a large wall wart and a small board with 12VDC out. I also have three POE adapters and numerous various voltage wall warts which I plugged into a couple of 120VAC power octapus type cables. This makes the cabinet's power come from only one source at the bottom of the cabinet. This allowed me to filter the power and put a separt conduit from the bottom of the panel to the fuse breaker box. The cabinet is kind of tight but only houses networking, telephone and 1-wire patch panels, one network switch and some telephone CID boxes, etc. The video now is over and outside of a media panel (it would have been better housed in another 42" panel. It consists of various RG6 cables, amplifiers, camera power supply, multiswitches, etc. The audio switching is also external to the main panel and ideally would have put the digital audio / video in a 3rd panel.

Back