migration to software?

mc2000 said:
Hi, there. Sorry to bring up this old thread. Ive got five wc8's doing things around my house and a few Rpi's. I really like the webcontrol and the webGUI thats built into them, But im wondering if anyone has "ported" the webGUI to html or something suitable for my Rpi- as I'd like the same interface on my raspberry pi?

Thanks
mc

thanks for confirming my fears, this is exacltly the way I warned of, making the WC obsolete in the long run, to be replaced by a smaller RESTful device without PLC or BRE (like mini-monster.ru)
You may make more beautiful things like plant schemes witth measured data on the RPi, if you are able to use HTML5 features, using SVG and embedded windows for the WC readings.
Otherwhise I recommend python to build your own verbose user interface having also more sophisticated control or statistics operations.

Not wanting an argument - but I'm a webcontrol wc8 fan, they are just what i need for my projects.

Im not asking the cai_support to change anything. But I'm also using rpi. Writing plc is about the limit of my coding ability, I suppose I'm not a code writer.

Just wondering about what others have done to make other platforms ie rpi, look like a wc8. . For example, apache on the rpi, with simular webpage stored on rpi to wc8 but controlling rpi gpio pins. Maybe i could make a rpi hat with simular i/o layout to wc8.

Thanks

mc2000 said:
Not wanting an argument - but I'm a webcontrol wc8 fan, they are just what i need for my projects.

Just wondering about what others have done to make other platforms ie rpi, look like a wc8. . For example, apache on the rpi, with simular webpage stored on rpi to wc8 but controlling rpi gpio pins. Maybe i could make a rpi hat with simular i/o layout to wc8.

I agree, the WC8 is a great "block", it does what it does well, and it doesn't "try to do" things it can't.

As for a web-page to make something else act like a wc8, I wrote a "simulator" that takes WC8 code and runs it, it would be simple enough to make it control real-world hardware, but it's very slow (which was fine when I was trying to find something).

Can certainly be done, but it isn't a trivial project.

mc2000 said:

Im not asking the cai_support to change anything. But I'm also using rpi. Writing plc is about the limit of my coding ability, I suppose I'm not a code writer.

Thanks

Hi MC,

IMHO the WC32 board would be able hosting a small linux without graphic interface but REST, this might be cheaper compared to the hat-solution

http://www.linux-arm.org/LinuxKernel/LinuxM3

certainly somebody could say no, that is not possible at present, but I think we shoul try running µLinux on that board.
For the full discussion please see.
http://electronicdesign.com/embedded/practical-advice-running-uclinux-cortex-m3m4

Back