Minimum working temp WC8

The 8.4V on WC8 has been running without a hitch for the last 2 hours
Tom - you mentioned your too old for the fine wire soldering - but, your brain certainly seems to function top notch!

TY ALL for the help, I would have thought of many things to check but the power source may not have come into my mind.

CAI-Support - the boards appear to be great!

Rainer

rfeyer said:
I would have thought of many things to check but the power source may not have come into my mind.
If you have been designing stuff for as many years as I have, power supply is the first thing you lean to check. Plus it is easy. Always check the easy stuff first, even if you don't think it is the root cause. 

/tom

When things act up and there seems to be random things happening check the power supply as Tom said above.

I think no matter how many times we tell everybody else we all still get caught on that simple check.

rfeyer said:
Took it back outside into  the coop, right now it still works but we now already have 31 degrees (warm).

Hi Rainer,

I'm also using a WC board in a chicken coop:
http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/27129-webcontrol-in-the-chicken-coop/

It opens/closes the door using a hacked cordless drill, turns on/off a light to keep the chickens' day long enough so they keep laying through the winter, monitors a level switch and temp sensor in the water bucket, and controls a heater under the bucket to keep the water from freezing.  The times for the door and light are based on sunrise/sunset times.  I have code for a food level switch and temp sensors in the nest boxes (an attempt at detecting when there are eggs), but haven't gotten the hardware for those installed in the coop yet.

What have you got yours doing?

-Ben

Ben,

that sounds like a great project - would be good to see pics some day

Currently I am only using WC8 for temp readings of outside inside and Water temps as well as humidity.
I am using a IPPower control unit simply to turn on and off power to water pumps which fill one of two buckets which in turn pull up or down the hen door.
Your idea with a drill is interesting as I have a 12V DeWalt who's batteries are shot and could be converted.
I also have security cameras (Hikvisions) in coop which give visual confirmation of eggs.
Will give link to pics when I get a chance tonight. Maybe a separate thread or moving this to BackyardChickens maybe? Though this forum will still be great for continuation of electronic portions of these projects.
Great to hear someone else in this WC8/ chicken hobby :)

Back