More LED bulb options

I just put in some EcoSmart 13-Watt (60W) A19 LED Light Bulb http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&R=202668646&catEntryId=202668646

Currently $14 in this area (probably a local energy subsidy).

The light is 3000K "bright white" which is whiter than "warm" but not as white/blue as "daylight". They are very bright and clear, seem brighter than 60W to me (although that's how they're rated). 850 lumens. I like the color, but it contrasts with the adjoining rooms (which have warmer lights).

They do dim with Insteon dimmers, but cut out maybe around 30% or so. And when ramped up from 0, they don't actually turn on again until 50ish and there can be a delay before they flick on. With the default 0.5 sec ramp rate, there basically is just a pause and then they appear to just come on to full. I have them set to come on instantly, and that works as it should. So basically I wouldn't recommend them for a dimming application. But if dimming is not needed, they are fine.

I like the Philips bulbs better, but these are in a ceiling fan with glass bells, the yellow Philips bulbs would look a lot uglier there.

I just put in some EcoSmart 13-Watt (60W) A19 LED Light Bulb http://www.homedepot...tryId=202668646

Currently $14 in this area (probably a local energy subsidy).

The light is 3000K "bright white" which is whiter than "warm" but not as white/blue as "daylight". They are very bright and clear, seem brighter than 60W to me (although that's how they're rated). 850 lumens. I like the color, but it contrasts with the adjoining rooms (which have warmer lights).

They do dim with Insteon dimmers, but cut out maybe around 30% or so. And when ramped up from 0, they don't actually turn on again until 50ish and there can be a delay before they flick on. With the default 0.5 sec ramp rate, there basically is just a pause and then they appear to just come on to full. I have them set to come on instantly, and that works as it should. So basically I wouldn't recommend them for a dimming application. But if dimming is not needed, they are fine.

I have many of these bulbs and mine dim pretty well on Insteon dimmers, I have one on right now at 10% set using an ISY-99i controlled by CQC. Maybe you have a bad bulb.

Since this thread is still kicking along, I just have to mention that those Lowes $10 bulbs I bought - about 36 of them - still going strong; not a single failure and they dim great with my Simply Automated UPB. Not a perfect incandescent replacement, but they're saving me a fortune with my power rates.

I haven't had any LED bulbs fail, some of mine are more than a five years old. The oldest bulbs I have don't dim and they are not really much good for anything except maybe a small closet.

I did some more testing with the bulbs I have, the philips A21 17 watt (75 watt equivalent) comes on at 2%, it is in a lamp connected to one of the new dual band Insteon plugin dimmers.

I have many of these bulbs and mine dim pretty well on Insteon dimmers, I have one on right now at 10% set using an ISY-99i controlled by CQC. Maybe you have a bad bulb.

Interesting. I have three in this fixture, though. One does come on a bit quicker than the other two, but I don't think any of them are satisfactory on a ramp up from 0. Once they are on, they ramp up and down nicely and don't flicker. It's just the ramp up from 0.

I checked the levels more carefully and they actually will turn on at 15%, it just isn't instant. One of the three comes on at 10%.

Has anyone seen the dimmer restrictions with some dimmable LED bulbs?
In a thread in the Smarthome Forums. A user indicated their LSG Glimpse 6" LED bulbs could look like a 115W load due to in rush and repeditive current spikes. They showed a 5 unit limit for a 600 watt dimmer.
I found similar data in the Cree web pages for some of their products.

I have one of the Philips new 10W LPrize bulbs and will be doing some testing on it with some autommation modules.

Good timing for thread resurrection....

I just received an email about the Cree CR6 800 lumen model available.....nice!!

http://www.polar-ray.com/Cree-CR6-800L-_p_399.html?utm_source=Cree+CR6-800L&utm_campaign=CR6800&utm_medium=email

Thanks for the info gatchel. I purchased some CR6 bulbs a while back for my kitchen and love them! Assuming the CR6-800 can get down near the $40 range like the CR6, I might be willing to move my current lights to the basement and put those in the kitchen. I'm not sure if I really need the additional light output (800 vs 575 lumens), but I don't think it will hurt...

Chris

I have been watching this thread and the LED trend since the start. I have mostly recessed PAR30 lamps throughout the house. For many years I have used a roughly 900 lumen daylight (roughly 5000k) flood. Rooms (usually in banks of 6) would be set to come on at either 35% or 50% and we would ramp up if needed for tasks. I skipped the whole CFL generation for several reasons. After losing 3 bulbs in our most heavily used room I figured it may be time to at least look into LED's since after all the Halogens are not really cheap at $10 each either. We have different trims (mostly nickel) so as much as I liked the apparent Cree quality, etc, the huge white brim was a turnoff (our brims are very small). So, after looking at specs and reviews ad nauseum without any clear favorites I just decide to try at least one of every PAR30 LED bulb sold by HD or Lowes. The criteria were first and foremost WAF, then look/feeling and brightness/dimming. Almost all of the bulbs where you can see the LEDs were eliminated from WAF as I was told they were too weird and looked like spaceships, lol. So it came down to the more traditional reflector looking bulbs. We were used to the daylight bulbs but for some reason the LED ones looked very harsh so WAF pointed to the 2.7-3k ones. I was very concerned about brightness and dimming as we had the capability of around 900-1000 lumens per bulb and now we were maxing out at 650 or so. But since we typically only had Halos set to 50%, LEDs full bright were more than sufficient. So after the whole analysis and testing we had a winner. It was the Philips 12W Vision LED from Home Depot. I was (and still am) a bit hesitant as it appears the Vision LED may be a Home Depot exclusive product. Philips makes a very similar 13W bulb under their Ambient LED label. Ambient is easily found on Philips website and other retailers whereas VisionLED is only found at HD. But, the VisionLED comes in at $26.97 vs $39.97 for the similar AmbientLED.

What we like about this bulb (and LED) was:

1. The look (WAF dictated this more traditional reflector look)
2. Color was good and brightness acceptable.
3. Start up time was middle of the pack, slower than one but faster than others.
4. Pattern. We found these bulbs were a very dispersed and soft pattern with no hot spots. Other LED's were a very distinct cone pattern very similar to the Halos. These were a very pleasant even light, perhaps not as bright at certain points, but still very usable.
5. Dimming. The cool thing is the bulb dimmed nicely all the way from 2%-100%. The real nice thing is the color stays exactly the same throughout the entire dim range unlike the Halos which were bright daylight at 100% but turned into an orange glow at low dim ranges.
6. Heat. Heat may wind up being just as large a saving as wattage. Halos you could put your hand a foot away and feel the heat coming off it. And if you touch it, well, that would be pretty stupid as you would get yourself a nice burn as they would be hot enough to fry eggs on. The LEDs even at full bright I could actually wrap my hand around with no sensation of any heat whatsoever (maybe some great heatsinks?) While touching bulbs is not a common issue to consider, it should certainly affect the temp of the room and A/C runtime.

So what turned out to be an experiment wound up with me buying 17 of these bulbs. It started as one bank of 6 then quickly turned into 5 more for my office as with all equipment, etc it usually on the warmer side and the Halos would just be brutal so I hardly used them. Now I can have full bright in office with no extra heat! Then wifey wanted 6 more for room adjacent to original 6. I didn't get too wrapped up in energy saving as calcs look like a 7-8 year payback. Came in around a $22 yr savings but they may depend a bit on how dim we can make them to make up for less lumen output as well as how well dim matches energy - like will 50% dim equal 6w vs 12w.

I thought they were a good choice, but when wifey came to me the other day and said 'I really love these bulbs' I knew I made the right choice!

I know lighting is a very subjective thing and everyone should do their own testing to see what works for them but so far I feel like I can highly recommend these bulbs at only $27 plus often available coupons. I did not have any DOAs or anything, now hopefully they last the 25k hours, only time will tell. The only thing I hated about about these bulbs were the packaging as you had to cut through the plastic inner wrap and that got tiring after a few bulbs.

I guess I need to look at the inrush and spike current issues although I have not noticed anything in the bulbs themselves or the switch getting warn - further testing needed...

I am using the LSG Glimpse LED lights in 6" cans and in 4" boxes where the roof is thinner, the only complaint I have is they have a slight turn on delay and they don't all come on at the exact same time. I have my kitchen on a relay because of the the in-rush current spike issue.

Soliciting opinions here. I have 8 wall washers (cans with half shade) currently with 40w clear bulbs on a keypadlinc running at 50%. Would like to replace the bulbs with a higher color temp (modern art on the walls). Thought of halogen, but there's the "upside down issue". Like the idea of LED, but since I can't be sure ahead of time of the light output, need dimming to work. Found the utilitech bulbs at Lowes, but read good/bad things about them. Don't want to invest in 8, then find they don't work/last. Anyone try mixing regular and LED on the same dimmer? Any other ideas? These lights generally (90% of the time) come on at dusk and turn off when I go to bed. First floor room, so no attic/insulation above. Any issues running 8 off a keypadlinc?
What do you all think?

The best ones I have found for the price is the Ecosmart line at Home Depot. Both the screw in bulbs, and the can retrofits are good. The can retrofits put out the best quality light, but the are only 65w equivalent. I need something brighter in most places, but they sound like they will work for you.

Just go buy one of each that interests you, test, and return as needed.

Any issues running 8 off a keypadlinc?
What do you all think?

Always check with the manufacturer to see if they have a restriction on the number of bulbs per dimmer, the lights I am using have a limit of 5 per 100 watt dimmer even though they only pull about 15 watts each.

Well, I'm just about fully converted over. I'm using Phillips 60 and 40 watt equivalent bulbs in most living area lamps/overheads where a 2700K color is preferred. I'm using the HD Ecosmart 40 watt bulbs in bathrooms. These lights look great in our downward facing fixtures that have frosted glass shades, plus their 3000K temp is perfect for bathroom use where a more natural light temp is preferred. I also use 3000K bulbs in the kitchen cans for the same reason. Downstairs, I have fully converted to Cree CR6 for all recessed lighting, four each in office/sewing room and five in the library. I'm also testing two Phillips 60W equivalent bulbs for outdoor use now. We'll see how they like WI in January...

What I could really use are some screw in 60W equivalent tube style lights for the picture frame fixtures and some "real" (3000K, 800-900 lumens like their Halogen counterparts) 50W equivalent MR16 style lights for the track lighting. So far the former are MIA and the latter require special fixtures and are way too pricey...

Back