My panels

Since this forum is called Wiring Closet, I thought I'd post part of mine.

The house we're having built has a wiring closet in the basement that's about 5x8. It houses the breaker boxes and low voltage panels. We're also going to have the irrigation controller and water heater control installed in it. The included pic was when I had finished pulling wires. I've since neatened up things a bit, but have yet to install anything in either of the boxes.

Observant viewers might notice that the boxes are two different brands, Leviton and On-Q. I did this because I knew up front that I wanted things from both vendors. Security/automation will be handled by an Omnipro II. This will probably go in the Leviton box along with the phone and cable distribution modules. We're also going to have an intercom system, which will go in the On-Q box, along with a module for the security cameras that are scattered around the house.

In addition to the panels, the closet will also become the home for a Linux server, some routers and switches, a few receivers, and whatever other things I want centrally located.

The house we're having built has a wiring closet in the basement that's about 5x8. It houses the breaker boxes and low voltage panels. We're also going to have the irrigation controller and water heater control installed in it. The included pic was when I had finished pulling wires. I've since neatened up things a bit, but have yet to install anything in either of the boxes.

Observant viewers might notice that the boxes are two different brands, Leviton and On-Q. I did this because I knew up front that I wanted things from both vendors. Security/automation will be handled by an Omnipro II. This will probably go in the Leviton box along with the phone and cable distribution modules. We're also going to have an intercom system, which will go in the On-Q box, along with a module for the security cameras that are scattered around the house.

In addition to the panels, the closet will also become the home for a Linux server, some routers and switches, a few receivers, and whatever other things I want centrally located.

looks good....nothing greater than pre-planning! Good job

A friend of mine who's been building a home now for over 3 years is now at the point of installing "the panel". He has no knowledge of anything related to use and installation of the panel. I am installing the panel.

We "wired" his home about 2 years ago. (I have forgotten much of what we did). It is wired for alarm, sound, TV, speakers, network and telephone. We pulled all of the cabling to one section of his basment. Over a year ago I asked him to hang a sheet of plywood on the studs near where his wires come into the basement. He has 9' ceilings in his basement. He has a 42" Leviton panel which I ordered for him about two years ago. He has not purchased the plywood yet. There are a lot of wires. (put 1-2 RG6's in just about every room plus wired for security cams). I can order a second panel.

I'm looking to first bring electric to the area either installing it between the studs or on the sheet of plywood. I'll do a pictoral of the installation as its probably going to take a while.

Piperchuck,

I noticed that you put both of the low voltage panels between the studs. My friend does have standard 2X4's with insulation and we could put the panel between the studs. I have no clue if and when he will be finishing his basement. Would it be better for me to rethink the installation of the panel to in between the studs versus on a sheet of plywood?

I have no clue if and when he will be finishing his basement. Would it be better for me to rethink the installation of the panel to in between the studs versus on a sheet of plywood?

I did and glad I planned for it, I am in the slow process of putting up drywall... Fortunately I thought of it and planned for the thickness of the sheets I thought I would use, so now it will be flush mounted when I am done.

The designated "area" is kind of a cutout in the foundation of sorts; so it will most likely be a "utility" room. It is the same dimensions as his laundry room which leads to his garage. His electrical panel is in the garage and adjacent to the door which goes to the laundry room.

We did a quick (over the phone) electrical circuit review and it appears that he has one 15 AMP circuit going to the basment for just the lighting and one outlet. Odd that he has only one outlet to the circuit considering the size of the basement. The other circuits are one for a refrigerator, hot water heater (X2) and furnace (heat pump). I tossed around maybe adding another circuit just for the LV panel as its only about 15 feet to the fuse panel.

I noticed that you put both of the low voltage panels between the studs. My friend does have standard 2X4's with insulation and we could put the panel between the studs. I have no clue if and when he will be finishing his basement. Would it be better for me to rethink the installation of the panel to in between the studs versus on a sheet of plywood?
The boxes are made to fit between standard 16" OC studs. If you put it between them the wires will be behind the walls if he ever decides to finish them.

The designated "area" is kind of a cutout in the foundation of sorts; so it will most likely be a "utility" room. It is the same dimensions as his laundry room which leads to his garage. His electrical panel is in the garage and adjacent to the door which goes to the laundry room.

We did a quick (over the phone) electrical circuit review and it appears that he has one 15 AMP circuit going to the basment for just the lighting and one outlet. Odd that he has only one outlet to the circuit considering the size of the basement. The other circuits are one for a refrigerator, hot water heater (X2) and furnace (heat pump). I tossed around maybe adding another circuit just for the LV panel as its only about 15 feet to the fuse panel.
Sounds like the electrician put in the minimum. That's pretty common for unfinished basements.

It's not obvious in the picture, but I have a dedicated circuit that supplies both boxes. Having a dedicated circuit is recommended. An obvious advantage of this is that the LV panel is not at risk of losing power if a breaker on another circuit is overloaded.

Also not in this picture (weren't installed yet) is that each box has an outlet built into the bottom. Having power inside the box allows me to put the cover on without worrying about how to snake a cord inside.

looks good....nothing greater than pre-planning! Good job
Thanks. I had a long time to think it through. I used several spreadsheets to plan things out and track my install progress. I've got some more finish work to do in the house. I've installed all the lights and am building in shelves in the closets and finishing the entire basement. Once most of those things are done, hopefully in the next few days, I'll start trimming out the panel and endpoints. First priority will be phone, internet, and RG6 connections for DirecTV. Security, audio distribution, video cameras, and intercom are slightly lower on the list.

Thanks Piper_Chuck,

I've asked him for some drawings and I will take pictures and order a second 42" panel. I did purchase the bottom 120VAC box for the existing not installed panel. Even the garage is a bit light on the Electric. He had his daughter's graduation party and used the garage for the food etc. The hotplates / etc kept blowing the breakers in the garage. The panel is pretty full except for the bottom two blanks so may be able to utilize at least one of those for another breaker.

Side Comment
BTW learned in a Cessna 152/172; very first time I had "total control" almost clipped rest of the parked planes; freaked one day when my instructor told me to land in a corn field. (actually I thought I couldn't do it - until I did it). I guess I was inspired by my godmother (whom was into flying when she was a teenager) and used to take care of me when I was very young.

Thanks for posting. Note, the moderator may wish to move this thread to the Showcase forum. It is nice to see a little activity around here with new projects.

My un-PC comment about the picture of the two enclosures and wires is that there already isn't enough room in those panels. Unless you know from previous experience this is enough room for what you need, you might look into replacing at least one of the 28" enclosures with a 42" enclosure before you get much farther. Wire bending radius, cable management, and power connections take up more room than you think. The more space you have, the neater the project will be. Get some gromments or plastic bushings where the wires enter the enclosures too. Bite the bullet and invest in good velcro cable straps as well. Regardless, happy terminating. Post more pictures of you project as you progress. It is nice to see other installations.

Prob pretty easy to move those enclosures up a little, and add another 1 or 2 below. They'll need AC too.

Of course, hold off on the drywall as long as you can; easier to re-route. AHJ may want it soon, if he sees exposed 110V AC cables. ;)

Prob pretty easy to move those enclosures up a little, and add another 1 or 2 below. They'll need AC too.

Of course, hold off on the drywall as long as you can; easier to re-route. AHJ may want it soon, if he sees exposed 110V AC cables. ;)
Surprisingly, the AHJ did not require drywall in this room. Not sure why, but I'm not going to argue. I plan to leave it unfinished, the only thing in this room will be panels and some electronics.

Thanks for posting. Note, the moderator may wish to move this thread to the Showcase forum. It is nice to see a little activity around here with new projects.

My un-PC comment about the picture of the two enclosures and wires is that there already isn't enough room in those panels. Unless you know from previous experience this is enough room for what you need, you might look into replacing at least one of the 28" enclosures with a 42" enclosure before you get much farther. Wire bending radius, cable management, and power connections take up more room than you think. The more space you have, the neater the project will be. Get some gromments or plastic bushings where the wires enter the enclosures too. Bite the bullet and invest in good velcro cable straps as well. Regardless, happy terminating. Post more pictures of you project as you progress. It is nice to see other installations.
Thanks for the input, it's going to be quite an adventure trying to make everything neat. I agree it might be too full. I have two other walls available for panels if necessary. I may take the wires for audio and the security cameras out of the panels and route them over there.

Thanks Piper_Chuck,

I've asked him for some drawings and I will take pictures and order a second 42" panel. I did purchase the bottom 120VAC box for the existing not installed panel. Even the garage is a bit light on the Electric. He had his daughter's graduation party and used the garage for the food etc. The hotplates / etc kept blowing the breakers in the garage. The panel is pretty full except for the bottom two blanks so may be able to utilize at least one of those for another breaker.
I went overboard in this house. The garages (1 car on the main level and oversized 2 car in the basement) have lots of outlets and the ones in the lower garage are on two different circuits. I ended up with about 8 circuits in my workshop, including two 220V circuits for the table saw.

Perhaps his panel can handle the thin type of breaker that allows two in one slot. That might make enough room to add another circuit or two in the basement. Of course that assumes there's enough amps coming in to handle more load...

He might also be able to have a small second panel added to make room for a few more circuits.

Side Comment
BTW learned in a Cessna 152/172; very first time I had "total control" almost clipped rest of the parked planes; freaked one day when my instructor told me to land in a corn field. (actually I thought I couldn't do it - until I did it). I guess I was inspired by my godmother (whom was into flying when she was a teenager) and used to take care of me when I was very young.

The "Piper" is not actually related to flying. I do have some experience with a 172, my father had one while I was in high school and college. I flew it a bunch of times, with him, but never got to the point of trying to get a license or taking lessons. I also fly R/C planes, and I do have several Cubs, so I have a good understanding of flight. Anyway, the nickname is actually related to something musical...

Back