NanoStation Loco

Very cool - lemme know how that goes... I'm about to do an install of UniFi and involving the toughcable so I'll feel like a pro soon!

Let us know how it goes.

What is "ToughCable"?

Went to the friend's farm this past weekend. I was able to see the water tower in town from the second floor of the home. This means that there is a visual between the house on the farm and the apartment building in town (3.5 miles) so the feasibility of a wireless bridge connection still exists. Its only seen from one part of the roof on the farm but easy to see. I'm thinking the wireless bridge to a CC ISP would still be faster.

Meanwhile I had him run the cat5e between the old and the new house using the old wireless bridge.

Well...Surprisingly everything went perfect. The Nanostation Loco M5 's are about 300 feet away, they have been aimed by eye, and the signal meters are pegged. The data rate says 270 / 300 Mbps. I couldn't ask for a more simpler bridge configuration.

The tough cable is the recommended cable to use with their wireless products. It provides an outdoor rated, shielded cable to help with ESD issues you might have without a grounded/shielded cable. If you cam make a factory looking RJ45 termination on standard CAT5e cable you probably won't have much of a problem terminating the toughcable. It is a bit more difficult to work with but not too bad.

Anyone interested in setting these things up should look at the left and middle video on THIS page. The recommended settings are in one of the videos.

Also I invested in 1000' of the cable, as that is the only way you can buy it from what I found.

Back