Need advice on HTPC/Media Server & Audio/Video Distribution

Thanks again for everyone's postings. I'm ready to go the "build your own" route with IVB's component suggestions.

Anyone else have other thoughts regarding specific components?

Anything missing (remember...I've never done this before)? I suppose I need to add a CD/DVD R/W . Any suggestions? Anything else?

While we're at it, if anyone cares to throw out any advice regarding building or setting up the new PC, or has some suggested links, I'm all ears.

Thanks for all your help. Hope everyone enjoyed their Thanksgiving.

Autoidiot

Ooops, guess I did forget the CD/RW. Get a 5.25" drive while you're at it, IIRC they're only $10 at newegg. I got a Sony Liteon CD/DVD for $17 from newegg.

I wish I had put my HTPC in a rack mounted case. Gets it off the floor, closer to the wiring, and a good step towards better wiring. But adding more cost again as you would need a rack, although if you live near a metro area, they always seem available on craigslist

One thing I think is often forgotten is it's no more difficult to install the MVPs centrally then it is to install a cable box centrally. If anything it's easier as with SageTV you can control the MVP via HTTP whereas most cable boxes you can't. Bring CQC into play and the whole box is open.

One thing I think is often forgotten is it's no more difficult to install the MVPs centrally then it is to install a cable box centrally. If anything it's easier as with SageTV you can control the MVP via HTTP whereas most cable boxes you can't. Bring CQC into play and the whole box is open.

BTW Collin, dunno if you heard, but the latest beta of Beelzerob's MVP driver supposedly allows you to control the MVP via CQC. That means an MVP is as controllable as a PC, meaning no more reason to build an HTPC for just SD-level playback. If the HD-MVP is as controllable, well it would be a very nice world.

I haven't gotten his latest version working, but I only spent 3 minutes on it and had trouble with the MVP MAC address, so it's a hardware thing right now. I've been putting up the new cameras/moving some around, so will get to the MVP as soon as I can. Won't life be grand then :)

Sweet. :rolleyes:

I knew it was easy to do as I have done it with EventGhost further using an RF remote to control the MVP in my master bedroom. You are correct this adds a new level of functionality to an already dirt cheap device. Possibly illuding to a solution to this audio only situation, all you need is a relay to hard reboot the MVP after that HTTP control. Since video is not required a display becomes optional, this could be controlled via an RF remote or any existing PC in addition to every device CQC already supports.

Ooops, guess I did forget the CD/RW. Get a 5.25" drive while you're at it, IIRC they're only $10 at newegg. I got a Sony Liteon CD/DVD for $17 from newegg.
OK. Putting together my order at newegg now. Other than upgrading to the 500gb HDD, ordering per your suggestions. Two questions:
--"Get a 5.25" drive while you're at it" Could you explain this one a bit. Are you talking about a floppy drive?
--What cables (if any) do I need to order?

Thanks once again,
Autoidiot

yes, floppy drive.

For cables, I can't think of any that I bought other than a KVM to share a single monitor/keybd/mouse with CQC server & SageTV server. All the stuff typically comes with cables.

Am I missing something?

Vivek, it's been too long for you on the tech side. 5.25" drives went out before the Pentium (I) :lol:

I am guessing 3.5" was the desired format even though that too dies at the turn of the century.

Oy. I clearly need more caffeine. I've been on a conference call for 4.5 hours now, and am going out of my mind with the tedium of details we're wading through.

I knew what he meant :lol: . But he did bring back memories. For about $29 they make a 3.5 floppy with a bunch of built in card reader slots, kind of convenient for $10 more.

So I take it that the onboard video works fine for these machines? Now that the HD extender is coming out, I am much more interested in putting this in place.

yep. I actually have onboard video in (one? both?) of my servers (CQC/CCTV, & SageTV/Database). I'll check tonight when I get home for which one has it.

Back