need rs 232 help

Scrambled

Hi all-

I am in the process of getting my cnc Mill working.

When I moved the mill to my shop, I found several of the onboard computer components not working. So I removed the components, and reinstalled them. After that everything appears to be working.

The mill was working with a PC before the move, but so far I am unable to to get it to work.

Now it is time for the next step. Getting a desktop pc to dripfeed information to the mill

here is what I know.

the connection between the mill and the pc consists of three components
a serial to LAN adapter
a special LAN cable
a LAN to DB25 RS 232 connector

one problem that I have is that I have two DB25 connectors. One is blue and the other is black. There are no marking on either, but I know they are different.

I also have a db25 mini cable tester ( that is how I know the DB 25 connectors are different)

I have the computer COM 1 port set to the following parameters

com1
even
flow control software

when I connect the cables and adapters and the mini tester, i get a combination of red and green lights on the mini tester

I have pictures of the lights, and will upload the pictures tomorrow.

The program that I am using to drip feed the information to the mill has a send to cnc page that showes the progress of the data transfer, and a series of red and green lights

So far, I have not observed the leds on the mini tester change state while it is connected.

The only time the predator data transfer leds change state is during the first 1-2 seconds after I start the data transfer. The TX led changes from red to green then back to red then it continues to stay red.

none of the LEDs on the mini tester change state.

There is a message on the Predator pop up screen, and it says "waiting on flow control"

So here is my question. Is there some way to monitor what data is or is not being transfered on the cable?

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I need to try next?

Thanks

Steve

you could use a comm port sniffer.

http://www.rs232pro.com/rs232/rs232_comtap.htm

Someting like this may be what you need.

There is also ways to monitor RS232 using some resistors and diodes and a comm port on a 3rd PC using hyperterminal to see the raw data. I'll have to dig this one up though. Maybe someone else who's an EE can chime in with some input.

You say the PC serial port is set for 9600/7/E/1 on COM 1, so that makes me ask: Are you really using LAN adapter or do you just mean a DB9 or DB25 adapter to RJ45 (lan cable)? If this is the case, it may just be that whomever originally set this up wanted to use the adapters so they could easily change the length of the cable with a different LAN cable.

If the mill and the PC both have serial ports, I would get a standard serial cable to try between them to see if you can get it working. That will take the whole LAN patch cable, adapters, etc. out of the picture.

JonW-

The cables are just the LAN RJ45 8 pin connector. The cables and connectors were made by the software company. I wastes 2 days trying to get the communication established using a regular LAN cable. OOPS.

I will try to post the pictures tomorrow. It has been a hectic day today.

Steve

Back