New AACS Agreement

Here is my predicament.
I was going to use a Zektor prowler series for some video distribution, integrating it with some Pronto Remotes, HAI touchscreens and the HAI controller.
With the new AACS aggreement, I have concerns about this because it does use component.
What is everyone using???
I am looking at JustaddPower and their HDMI over IP?

What are you trying to accomplish? Really need some more information to give some advice.

If you are talking about a HDMI matrix option, unfortunately, it's still a pretty dicey area. There aren't many solid options in this area right now. The way I understand it, some companies are exploiting the gray areas of HDCP licensing and could face some legal issues down the road (don't want to name any names). The best solution I am currently aware of is the Crestron DM switch but unless you are a Crestron Dealer (and I'm not), you are out of luck. This is a product area that is changing rapidly and there may be other viable solutions.

Again, it really depends what you are trying to do. Residence? Sports Bar?..........

At this time, the broadcast companies will only be able to turn off the component output on new release movies. They can only turn it off for a max of 60 days or whenever the movie is released on DVD, whichever happens first.

While I don't like this first step (because I do believe it starts down a slippery road of no return), it doesn't mean the death nail of component video output yet.

At this time, the broadcast companies will only be able to turn off the component output on new release movies. They can only turn it off for a max of 60 days or whenever the movie is released on DVD, whichever happens first.

While I don't like this first step (because I do believe it starts down a slippery road of no return), it doesn't mean the death nail of component video output yet.

While everything you said is true, this is a completely different issue. The AACS Agreement only pertains to BluRay movies and players. You can download the entire agreement at the AACS website. By 2014 BluRay players won't even be allowed to have analog video output.

The ruling you are speaking of is the one where the MPAA petitioned the FCC to allow they to use SOC (Selective Output Control). This ruling relates to Cable Satellite and Over The Air STB's.

I agree Component video is far from dead but is has cough and looks a little pale. ;)

While everything you said is true, this is a completely different issue. The AACS Agreement only pertains to BluRay movies and players. You can download the entire agreement at the AACS website. By 2014 BluRay players won't even be allowed to have analog video output.

The ruling you are speaking of is the one where the MPAA petitioned the FCC to allow they to use SOC (Selective Output Control). This ruling relates to Cable Satellite and Over The Air STB's.

I agree Component video is far from dead but is has cough and looks a little pale. ;)

Ooops! Sorry for the confusion. There are just too many acronyms being used now! :(

I am doing a residence, I have wired a 2 coax and about 6 cat 5 to each tv location, and all of the equipment will be in a main head end rack. The homeowner does not want any equipment at any of the tv locations. I am doing some automation stuff with an HAI panel, a few pronto remotes, and I WAS going to use a ZEKTOR video distributiton unit that I have some serial string commands for, to use with the HAI panel and pronto remotes.
THe system needs to do about 8 sources, and 4-8 Zones of tv. (starting with 4)
Looking for a solution, this whole new AACS agreement kinda karate chopped my plan, I really dont want to be telling the homeowner in 2014 that thier home is out of date, and be updating thingts.....
ANY ideas???

What are you trying to accomplish? Really need some more information to give some advice.

If you are talking about a HDMI matrix option, unfortunately, it's still a pretty dicey area. There aren't many solid options in this area right now. The way I understand it, some companies are exploiting the gray areas of HDCP licensing and could face some legal issues down the road (don't want to name any names). The best solution I am currently aware of is the Crestron DM switch but unless you are a Crestron Dealer (and I'm not), you are out of luck. This is a product area that is changing rapidly and there may be other viable solutions.

Again, it really depends what you are trying to do. Residence? Sports Bar?..........

One option is to buy an HD-Fury device while you still can. They have a model that converts HDMI to component video. That would give you some more time before component distribution equipment would need to be changed out to HMDI distribution equipment.

I am doing a residence, I have wired a 2 coax and about 6 cat 5 to each tv location, and all of the equipment will be in a main head end rack. The homeowner does not want any equipment at any of the tv locations. I am doing some automation stuff with an HAI panel, a few pronto remotes, and I WAS going to use a ZEKTOR video distributiton unit that I have some serial string commands for, to use with the HAI panel and pronto remotes.
THe system needs to do about 8 sources, and 4-8 Zones of tv. (starting with 4)
Looking for a solution, this whole new AACS agreement kinda karate chopped my plan, I really dont want to be telling the homeowner in 2014 that thier home is out of date, and be updating thingts.....
ANY ideas???

I understand your concerns, most integrators are going through the same thing. There is no easy answer right now as far as I'm concerned.

In my opinion, there are many more pitfalls to HDMI distribution than with conventional HD Component distribution. Current obstacles to analog video distribution are known: BluRay Analog Sunset and SOC for first run Movies for 90 days. There is still Apple TV, VuDu, DVD, TiVo and other streaming options. Too many unknowns and gray areas in HDMI distribution right now for me.

Be upfront with your client and let them know what the current facts are and set expectations.

I think the Just Add Power products look very interesting but I do not have any experience with them. If you do go that direction, be aware you will need to have strong computer networking skills.

Back