New Honeywell Alarm System ... Remote on/off? Insteon? Elk?

icerabbit

Our older alarm system needs a repair for which no parts exits and would be replaced / upgraded to a Honeywell system by the alarm co. 

We've asked to have remote on/off ability. Which we were told is a $400 upgrade with a $10/mo fee.

I figured it would be some lesser expensive ethernet bridge module that ties into the router via cat5, but no, it is some home automation setup, with $10 per month per client cost from their provider "total access". 

Given that I already have an insteon system with an ISY controller as well, it seems a bit crazy to run a duplicate HA system for one single thing and pay $10/mo to boot for essentially one on/off switch. 

I have a quick message about this out on the smarthome forum, but wanted to ask here as well if I might have any additional options as far as dialing in/off, internet on/off. 

I know ELK is highly regarded and probably something I could tackle. Biggest issue would probably be identifying all existing zones, before some other essential details that will bite a first timer. 

You'll need  to provide more information as to the existing system, model, and zone types/expansion.

A clearer statement as to the remote on/off functionality would also need to be defined, such as via a wireless remote, internet or smartphone app. Same would apply as to whether or not pro monitoring is being performed or your intent is to move into self-monitoring (basically no monitoring).

Once you provide the information, a clearer statement could be put together as to what is possible and what is not.

If you have the alarm company replace your panel with a Honeywell, will you be locked into them with a contract for monitoring?  Or will you be free to switch to another alarm company?  My guess is they will try and lock you in so they can sell you the additional services.

If you replace the panel yourself with a Honeywell panel, you could then sign up with a no-contract monitoring company like Alarmrelay.com or Nextalarm.com.

Then, you could add an internet module to the Honeywell, like the EnvisaLink, to provide internet access and allow you to control the alarm system remotely.  No additional monthly fees.

If you decide to go with an Elk, that will also give you additional home automation capability.  But if you already have an ISY, then you may not feel you need it.

Thanks for the reply, DEL & RAL  - great tips RE: honeywell and no contract monitoring

I apologize for poorly explaining the remote on/off ability. I meant on/off via SmartPhone and Internet. 

The existing system is "Morse". Age uncertain, two wired keypads, hard wire sensors to every door and window, temp alarm sensor in every room, several motions, smokes, ... 

The Alarm Co bills annually. Fees are fair for basic monitoring. $23/mo.  Of course adding in the new cellular connection adds $17/mo. 

The proposed internet on/off adds another $10. Which brings it to $50/month. 

The cost of install and parts is not subsidized. So it is not a "free" repair / upgrade / install, that we would pay back over the course of two or three years of contract lock-in; as with some advertised "free alarm systems". 

I'm pretty sure, we could have them (or another company) do the install and move to another / cheaper monitoring company. 

Proposed replacement:
Vista 21 IP, 2 hard wire zone expanders, wireless zone receiver (for a couple extra sensors), vista automation module 

I have read through an ELK manual, got the basics, it probably covers 95% of what I need to know.  I think the alarm co has the details though on which line does what in the house ... I'm not seeing any numbers on lines :/  Afaik they did the original install and prior replacement to Morse. 

PS: As far as monitoring.  External monitoring is still desired. When you're on the road, up in the air, on vacation, out of the country, ... the lapses in self-monitoring would be too great. 

icerabbit said:
Proposed replacement:

Vista 21 IP, 2 hard wire zone expanders, wireless zone receiver (for a couple extra sensors), vista automation module 

I have read through an ELK manual, got the basics, it probably covers 95% of what I need to know.  I think the alarm co has the details though on which line does what in the house ... I'm not seeing any numbers on lines :/  Afaik they did the original install and prior replacement to Morse. 

You may be able to figure out which wires are which zones by disconnecting one zone at a time and watching which zone reports trouble on the keypad. 

Otherwise, a toner generator and probe, like the Fluke Pro3000, will let you figure it out pretty easily.  There are other less expensive cable tracers that are available, but the quality and sensitivity varies.

The Vista series has good panels and sounds like it would meet your needs.  If you enjoy DIY stuff, you should be able to save some money and buy the components yourself and do the install.  There are many good folks here on Cocoontech who can answer questions and help get you up and running.  On the other hand, having the alarm company do the install is probably the fastest way to getting back to having a working system.

One thing to look into is whether your old system uses end of line resistors on the contacts.  If so, you may have to change them to make it compatible with your new panel.  If they are buried behind the door or window frames, that can be a bit of work, depending on how much slack the original installer left in the wiring.

Morse, if it's the one I'm thinking of, that was a pretty decent panel in the day, prior to being bought up by Optex and the like.....Depending on which Morse, the data cabling for the keypads is already setup to be 485.

Personally, I'd probably put an M1 in; The cost of the proposed hardware pretty much covers the hardware cost of the M1 with less functionality compared to the Honeywell panels.....I've put plenty of both in over the years.

Should be easy enough to determine what zone goes to what by opening up the protected points or disconnecting a wire to see what faults at the keypad.

There's many ways to skin the cat for remote arm/disarm. Some can be performed via the cell communicator, others can be done via embedded hardware and simply installed and an app bought.

Back