upstatemike said:
My problem comes when I install a SwitchLinc (with no load) to control a set of LampLincs and I want to change the ramp-rate. I have to go ahead and link the LampLincs to the switch so I have a way to dim them which is required for setting the ramp-rate. But once the link is established the ramp rate is locked to the default that was there when the link was created.
upstatemike,

I ran into this problem too... was trying to setup a Switchlinc V2 dimmer with no actual load to control a Lamplinc V2 in the same room.

I fought with it for some time and then called Smarthome support (which I had never done before). The girl that assisted me was very knowledgeable and talked me through some steps that weren't documented in the manuals.

Within 10mins she had it working for me. I think that Smarthome has a message board with an Insteon forum that may have some tips about stuff like this too, but I've never spent any time there yet.

Maybe SmartLabsMike can post a link to a forum where this is discussed or otherwise advise?

Cheers,
Paul

pkoslow said:
Maybe SmartLabsMike can post a link to a forum where this is discussed or otherwise advise?
Hi Paul,

I believe you are referring to the Knowledge Base on Smarthome.com. It can be found http://smarthome.custhelp.com/ search for INSTEON.

Mike - you would want to initially link the lamp dimmers to the switch. Then brighten/dim to the desired on level and ramp rate (double tap the set button of the lamp dimmer to lock in ramp rate, single tap for on level) then relink the modules a second time.

SmartLabsMike said:
pkoslow said:
Hi Paul,

I believe you are referring to the Knowledge Base on Smarthome.com. It can be found http://smarthome.custhelp.com/ search for INSTEON.

Mike - you would want to initially link the lamp dimmers to the switch. Then brighten/dim to the desired on level and ramp rate (double tap the set button of the lamp dimmer to lock in ramp rate, single tap for on level) then relink the modules a second time.
Thanks for the clarification. I think I was confused about linking a second time. If you link two devices that are already linked does the existing link just get updated or do you get 2 different entries in the link tables?

Mike, in the above situation with a Lamp Dimmer and Dimmer Switch it would overwrite/update the link so you would not have 2 links in the table.

SmartLabsMike said:
Ahhh! That's a much easier way to do it :D

Back