No-IP Dynamic DNS service

pete_c

Guru
Been using them since 2007 now.  Every two years would call them; get a discount and pay for two more years.

This year they did not answer their phones and suggested I open a ticket up.  Ticket response was generic and a waste of my time.

Instead decided to cancel the service.

Really didn't utilize it that much.

Somebody mentioned another service (free) that has worked well for them.  What was that service?

I use namecheap as a registrar and they support dynamic DNS updates in their standard DNS hosting.  I'm using it at 3 remote sites for making VPN tunnels on dynamic IP's with Ubiquiti EdgeRouters.

Thanks Jon.

Here registration has been every 5 years or so since the 1990's.  Thinking today it is namecheap. 

Today using IPSec VPN to get to my home network.

Starting to configure a site to site configuration (PFSense) set up using IP Sec. 

I did have an issue with the dynamic naming and went to IP about a month ago.  Works great with the OmniPro, Homeseer and HA stuff.

What works nicely is using Homeseer Touch / OmniPro Touch - with video / Squeezeplayer /CCTV on my table tops (tablets) using IPSec VPN. I have tested this before remotely while at a hotel or vacation rental.

A lot of router manufacturers are offering the service free these days.  Sometimes they're not the easiest names or not customizable - so I take advantage of a custom domain for that - home.myhome.com (example) then has a c-name that goes to fdasjklw432s.genericdns.com - makes it easy to remember.

After DynDNS got bought up, they got greedy or just didn't want to deal with home users anymore - and their prices certainly got too high for me.

Yes; every two years I would call and they would give me a discount code for two more years so the prices where reasonable even though they kept going up.

This time CS via a ticket (cuz I couldn't get anyone to answer the phone there) said they did not have any discounts.

I cancelled my No-IP account today.

I was forwarding to my domain name for a few years then just went generic easy names (doing port forwarding and stuff). 

It really doesn't matter now though with VPN use only.

I've had an account with them for years also. They do have a free account but it has a big stick to get you to convert to a pay account: with the free account you have to manually log into it once a month or it gets suspended. With the pro account it will sit there charging you yearly forever whether you're using it or not. Dyndns used to have a free account but they went totally for money some years back. 

Yeah for a bit before using VPN I would do multiple location port forwards for all sorts of stuff.  Over the years though have shut down all open ports on my firewalls and just have gone to using VPN.  I did have an issue a few weeks back using dyndns name for my VPN stuff.  It is fixed now.  That and the IP's never change.  I can though force changes as I still change the mac address on my wan links to the internet. 

My ISY994 sends me my IP address if it doesnt see access from me every 48 hours.

The freebie VPN failed me after a few years of usage while I was away for a month and helpless.

I don't trust people I dont know with full access to my whole LAN system now.

Smaller lan increments are safer.

Sent using Tapatalk

OK switched over to dynu ddns for two sites and it is working...

@JonW

Here my main domain registered originally here:

Creation Date: 2003-02-07T15:14:12Z

Always paid for 5 years in advance (well even more)...see that I am with wildwest domains but that is not who I paid last.

I think it is managed now by some other company.

going simple now with a names like H1.domain name and H2. domain name...and I want to use my registered domain name which I haven't used now in many years.  I see a web site I created that is still working but I cannot edit it anymore...so I am seeing a cached version of it...

How do I do this?

Well found it it goes to cheap domain registration and I was able to log in to see my stuff...

I see that I am paying for domain forwarding (which I have never used) and registered name.

I do not see any DDNS settings though.

Lost in all of the features...

Hi Pete - are you saying you did switch to namecheap or you're still with wild west?  Not clear from your note.

Here's a page of support links for setting up dynamic DNS at Namecheap:
https://www.namecheap.com/support/knowledgebase/subcategory.aspx/11/dynamic-dns

FYI for others - I just noticed that even the free DNS service that NameCheap offers supports dynamic DNS.  This means that if you have a domain registered somewhere else, you can switch to the NameCheap name servers for free and use their dynamic DNS service.

The basic setup is you add an "A+" record instead of an "A" record, then enable dynamic DNS.  They then give you a password that you use from your software client or supported router that updates your IP address.  You can also setup multiple dynamic hosts - e.g. host1.mydomain.com host2.mydomain.com, etc.

are you saying you did switch to namecheap or you're still with wild west?  Not clear from your note.

No.  Main domain registrar is Wild West.   Tried to log in and it took me to another site where I saw all my paid stuff.

The site that I pay for registration is called Cheap-Domains Registration.  I do see there a forwarding to a web site I no longer use.

I looked some more and do not see it offering any DDNS options.  So I guess will just utilize the free one mentioned above.

Thank you for you help JonW.

Back