No touch gate opening?

pete_c said:
Set up another test with the RFID.

I am seeing it now regularly turning on about 30 seconds before I go on to the driveway.

Personally having it trigger the opening of the garage / gate would be too soon for me at 30 seconds; that is me though.

Easiest way to check position is just to be logged on to the home automation server (Homeseer) and watching when the RFID device changes in vivo.

I do have a clear view of the house as I go past the entrance of the subdivision.  See drawing.

Well, that timing is pretty easily adjusted or accounted for via a phantom output in Elk programming. If you wanted it to trigger @ 20 seconds till...

Whenever RFID Input 3 becomes not secure
   Then Turn ON output 100 for 10 seconds

Whenever Output 100 turns OFF
   Then activate task Open Garage Door

Thanks so much for the information Pete!

More numbers testing ....instead of opening the garage door had the RFID trigger turn off the alarm....25 seconds...

3/2/2015 6:29:50 AM  Event Event Trigger "RFID Trigger car#1"
Today 6:29:51 AM Disarmed HAI System  Security Status  HAI_System
3/2/2015 6:30:15 AM  Event  Event Trigger "Driveway....
3/2/2015 6:30:15 AM  Event  Event Trigger "Chime....

Different car ....

3/2/2015 3:35:53 PM  Event Event Trigger "RFID Trigger car#2"
Today 3:35:54 PM Disarmed  HAI System Security Status HAI_System     
3/2/2015 3:36:19 PM     Event     Event Trigger "Driveway.....
3/2/2015 3:36:19 PM     Event     Event Trigger "Chime....

3/2/2015 6:34:13 PM     Event     Event Trigger "RFID Trigger Car#1"
Today 6:34:14 PM Disarmed HAI System Security Status  HAI_System     
3/2/2015 6:34:43 PM     Event     Event Trigger "Driveway ......
3/2/2015 6:34:43 PM     Event     Event Trigger "Chime...

Next day....slow...(snowy?)

3/3/2015 6:37:34 AM Event Event Trigger "RFID Trigger car#1"
Today 6:37:35 AM Disarmed  HAI System Security Status HAI_System
3/3/2015 6:38:43 AM Event  Event Trigger "Driveway....
3/3/2015 6:38:43 AM Event Event Trigger "Chime....

Event priority is set to Priority event (does not queue) on Homeseer....trigger set to disarm, take pictures, send emails...

a segway-tangent now to TIME.....(this time thing and computers has always bugged me)...

CCTV pics have three timestamps today....(which Iook at).

Just noticed my Grandstream  IP Cam clock changed. 

It is set to: CST+6CDT+5,M3.1.0,M11.1.0 which was first Sunday in March

Changed it to CST+6CDT+5,M3.2.0,M11.1.0 which is second Sunday in March...

Noticed some time issues relating to outside DNS versus inside DNS IP address causing NTP inside address not to work.
I had by accident left the default DNS entries in place.

Unrelated also noticed that I get a camera lens type status with the Grandstream OS cameras:

Grandstream Model: GXV3672HD - Camera Type: Aptina, MT9M034 Pixels 1280*960

Generic Model: IP1536 - Camera Type: Aptina, AR0331 Pixels 2048*1536

That's a good bit of difference between the times but even small changes to the environment can do that.  Very interesting to see the numbers.

Yeah; numbers different again this morning. 

3/4/2015 6:29:20 AM     Event     Event Trigger "RFID Trigger car#1"
Today 6:29:21 AM Disarmed     HAI System  Security Status     HAI_System     
3/4/2015 6:29:37 AM     Event     Event Trigger "Driveway....
3/4/2015 6:29:37 AM     Event     Event Trigger "Chime....

and again different in the afternoon in a different car. 

3/4/2015 1:18:19 PM     Event     Event Trigger "RFID Trigger car#2 ....
Today 1:18:20 PM Disarmed HAI System Security Status HAI_System     
3/4/2015 1:20:11 PM     Event     Event Trigger "Driveway....
3/4/2015 1:20:11 PM     Event     Event Trigger "Chime....

PM trigger...

3/4/2015 6:33:56 PM Event Event Trigger "RFID Trigger car#1
Today 6:33:56 PM  Disarmed HAI System Security Status HAI_System
3/4/2015 6:34:19 PM  Event  Event Trigger "Driveway ...
3/4/2015 6:34:19 PM Event  Event Trigger "Chime...

Here taking the dependency on reading the RS-232 interface to a combo receiver with RS-232 and relays.  The relays / solenoids will be connected to the OPII panel and the RS-232 piece will remain connected to the software.  The issue here is that I have the current tested receiver in the attic with a extended RS-232 via cat5e cable.  I do have a spare cat5e cable going to the attic such that I can utilize that cable for the zone switches on the OPII (need only 3-4).

I do have two more receivers in place; one next to the panel which does work with the automobiles in the garage and another one in the garage which also works fine but doesn't have the range of the one in the attic.

The web site links are confusing relating to getting the device that will work with my current set up.

You can bypass these pieces by connecting an said used device serially to an arduino with relays.  You just have to write a sketch (PITA part) which reads the 4 digit codes then turns on a solenoid.  Easier to do this with an RPi (still would have to write a program to read the codes and associate them with the solenoids). 

Googling this morning looking for a longer range RFID (well like Gen2RIFD)  found this for $14.95.  433MHz up to 700 meters?

NRF905 chips

RFID-700 meters.jpg

NRF905.jpg

Also found 1-2 watt transmitters that go over a mile.

As someone that is a ethical hacker for fortune 50 companies and the government I can tell you that RFID tags are easily hackable. For under 500.00 someone can be within 20 feet of your RFID device and gain access to your code. Of course someone has to have the know how. 

The most secure method is using a METAL not plastic key pad. Plastic keypads leave heat signatures and can easily be guessed by using devices. 

Just an FYI 

Thank you damarius.

The original OP started as a sort of as a means of opening a gate using some sort of mechanism from 100+ feet (well that is a guess) and build it into the automobile or use a passive always beaconing device; no buttons is my guess.

I understand that its easy to circumvent; well almost all of this stuff (RF) tends to be that way as much of it today has been reverse engineered.

Methodologies of use today relating to reverse engineering RFID have been publically documented; geez just walking past someone with tags.

Commercially just a few years back used them for a facility some 300 miles or so away from a main city.  The facility was a little town in the middle of a desert.  Employee's were tagged and tags were read by an RFID reader on a transportation bus that provided transport to the facility.  The tags were read again as they entered the facility through layers of gates and turnstiles.  Only issues I ran in to was the destruction of the RFID readers cuz they were in plain site; even embedded into cement structures.   The methodologies utilized were cheap as meant to be and basically functional as mostly secure considering their purpose.  

Found a cheap (less than $100) longer distance device many years ago from a company called Ananiahelectronics.

It's simple and yup hackable with the right stuff.  What is neat is that it works over 100 feet. 

I have one receiver mounted in my 2nd story home attic and the RDID tag hidden away in the head liner of the automobile and it is working in my tests probably close to 300 feet or more right now.

What are your thoughts about using this device to open a gate automatically (no button press) and ID automobile entrance?

Most security measures are deterrents. ALL RFID's are hackable since they are signals travelling through the air. You have to ask yourself a couple things.

Of course how many people really have those skills? 
How important and valuable is the stuff within the facility your protecting?
Also would a thief pass by your location to a easier site? 

As far as RFID hacking check out this video. It will give you some insight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fszkxcJt7U

So many things in our world are unbelievably easy to bypass - from 99% of home security systems, HID access control systems, etc.  If you have a little knowledge it can be truly scary.  I guess the best hope is that the people with those skills are off making decent money and don't want to risk it all on a felony.

Add to this the premise that for most people, you just want to make yourself a lessor target than your neighbor since most crimes are that of convenience.  If you are a natural target, there are a ton of legitimate measures you would need to take to even remotely protect yourself...  

Seems like this HA iBeacon and RFID stuff is still in its infancy. I'll wait for the early adopters to work out the bugs and find the security vulnerabilities.

Until then, I use MobiLinc HD on iOS with a 200 meter GeoFence around my home coupled with robust programs in my ISY to disarm my Elk, turn on exterior lights, and open my garage door when I arrive home. Or arm my Elk when I leave. Wes added an option to MLHD to ignore the GeoFence notifications if the phone is locked to prevent someone who found/stole my phone from gaining access. In my case 200m is within walking distance to my mailbox and just far enough away for the garage to completely open by the time I pull into my driveway. I just have to remember to unlock my phone as I pull into my community.

Thank you for the video damarius.

Yup just about anything security access technology wise including RFID can be reverse engineered; always been so. 

Historically too there was that reference to magic; the blink of a virtual eye; well and an easy way to explain the unexplainable in a simple language. (hundreds of years old now).

It was always just the dissemination of a knowledge base and references to whatever using whatever could be understood or not depending on the comprehension and methodologies presented or not. 

It's difficult in today's world of almost instant global communications to keep a secret.  Geez what is a secret?

Not too long ago recall one bank security person smitten by an employee with him showing her the intimate details of his job...then once she learned she helped herself to the bank's coffers. 

Many times absolutes not understood just get discounted / discarded for another day.

Look at the in fighting (its about money anyways) going on to patent a genotype(s).

What the heck is a genotype anyways.

Mix that in too with the nefarious chameleon like virtual doppelgänger.

The OP here is:

I'm looking for a way to have a gate open whenever I (or anyone who has access) drive or walk up to it.  It can currently be opened via keypad or an RF opener.  I am not concerned with having a high level of security (ie: I won't be opening doors with it).  I would of course like to keep it as cheap as possible but my budget is up to $300.

The assumption was to use some passive methodology and RF came to mind.  Personally here using a tiny transmitter (which could and can be easily circumvented) just passing a simple 4 digit code (non encrypted).

Who would be watching anyways?

Installing da device innocuously in an automobile; not to be seen, no batteries to change or in the way in a literal sense simple and functional.  Nothing fancy at all.

You have to ask yourself what level of risk are you willing to accept? There aren't many systems that are completely full-proof.

Do you have an access point at your house? That's not "secure".
Many people on this forum have security systems. What's that going to do? Alert the police after XX seconds, and they arrive minutes later. That's not going to prevent a targeted attack either; smash a window or door, grab some goods and go.

If someone is hacking an RFID system installed at a residence... I'm impressed that they'd know I have one in the first place. Secondly, if they targeted me, which would likely be the case... nothing I do is really going to stop them anyway.

As the saying goes, ignorance is bliss. While not that naive, I choose to accept a bit of risk and have a fair amount of creature comforts vs. remaining constantly prepared for the zombie apocalypse. YMMV.

Back